• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Worth trying to sell PS/2 8590 and 8580?

Lou - N2MIY

Veteran Member
Folks,

I have two nice PS/2 MCA machines that I have no particular emotional attachment to. Are they even worth trying to sell:

8590-0H9 (a 486-100 in a desktop case, SCSI, Ethernet)
8580-A31 (a 386 in a tower case, OS/2 Warp, cd rom)
and a PS/2 TV (I thought it was neat when I got it.)

They should all still work fine (except perhaps system battery), but I'd have to confirm.

I have no matching 8514 monitors, and would prefer to keep my model M keyboards. The machines are heavy, so postage might be killer. Are they worth the trouble?

Even more of a boat anchor, I have an HP9836 (9000/236) too.

Any thoughts?

Lou

Folks,

I have two nice PS/2 MCA machines that I have no particular emotional attachment to. Are they even worth trying to sell:

8590-0H9 (a 486-100 in a desktop case, SCSI, Ethernet)
8580-A31 (a 386 in a tower case, OS/2 Warp, cd rom)
and a PS/2 TV (I thought it was neat when I got it.)

They should all still work fine (except perhaps system battery), but I'd have to confirm.

I have no matching 8514 monitors, and would prefer to keep my model M keyboards. The machines are heavy, so postage might be killer. Are they worth the trouble?

Even more of a boat anchor, I have an HP9836 (9000/236) too.

Any thoughts?

Lou

I'm just wondering, what is that PS/2 TV?

The PS2/TV was an amusing little box. It connects between the video card and the monitor. It has an NTSC broadcast tuner and NTSC baseband video input. It can superimpose the television video over a portion of the image coming from the computer to make it look like you're watching television on your PS/2. It can also go full screen.

To control it, the keyboard plugs into the box, and the box into the keyboard port on the PS/2. It intercepts certain keystrokes to change channels and the like. I also have software that runs on the PS/2 under win 3.1 that can control the box. I used it with the 8590.

Lou

Too bad you are not local, that HP sounds like fun. Do you have the matching monitor (color or mono) and does it work?

The PS/2 stuff should sell on ebay but they won't make you rich and finding packing material and a box will be hard.

Unknown_K

Yes, I have the matching monochrome monitor. It is really quite large/heavy and has been sitting in the back of a closet. The space could be used for other things.

As for the PS/2 stuff, your answer is basically what I was looking for. It sounds as if the shipping makes them not worth the trouble. They have been in the same closet with the 9836. I enjoyed them very much about 10 years ago, but am now focusing my attention on my older dec hardware. They certainly would not go to the curb, but will stay in the closet.

Thanks,

Lou

Back