• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for DECserver MNENG2.SYS, MNENG3.SYS, and MNENG4.SYS boot files

gslick

Veteran Member
I already have copies of these DECserver boot files from OpenVMS VAX Software Product Library CD-ROMs:

PR0801ENG.SYS (DECserver 200, VCBAA / DS2033)
SH1601ENG.SYS (DECserver 300, VTUAA / DS3C022)
MNENG1.SYS (DECserver 90TL, MJPAA / DS9C011)

I'm looking for MNENG2.SYS, MNENG3.SYS, and MNENG4.SYS boot files for DECserver 90M / 90M+ which apparently were never part of any OpenVMS VAX Software Product Library CD-ROMs, and were part of Digital Network Access Software (DNAS) kits.

Looks like a common question on the net over the years. Can't find any links anywhere on the net which still work. Some members here must have copies of these files saved away.

I'm looking for MNENG2.SYS, MNENG3.SYS, and MNENG4.SYS boot files for DECserver 90M / 90M+ which apparently were never part of any OpenVMS VAX Software Product Library CD-ROMs, and were part of Digital Network Access Software (DNAS) kits.

Looks like a common question on the net over the years. Can't find any links anywhere on the net which still work. Some members here must have copies of these files saved away.
I have a "DECserver Network Access Software 2.4" CD which has MNENG2.SYS and MNENG3.SYS, but not MNENG4.SYS. Someone else probably has something newer.

The versions are:
Network Access SW V2.4 BL50 for DS90TL
DECserver90TM Network Access SW V2.4 BL50

The CD also has documentation files in .ps and .pdf format.

I have a "DECserver Network Access Software 2.4" CD which has MNENG2.SYS and MNENG3.SYS, but not MNENG4.SYS. Someone else probably has something newer.

Any chance you could image the whole CD and upload the file temporarily to Google drive or similar? There is probably other useful stuff on that CD that would be good to have. I have found references to that CD on the net but no pointers to where an image of it could be found.

We can upload them to the terminals wiki for general access.

I want to collect together all the necessary files for the various terminal servers and X Window System terminals (they often netboot their server software from a host) in a central place and linked from the terminals wiki.

Any chance you could image the whole CD and upload the file temporarily to Google drive or similar? There is probably other useful stuff on that CD that would be good to have. I have found references to that CD on the net but no pointers to where an image of it could be found.
Here you go: https://www.glaver.org/transient/DNAS24.zip

Edit - removed file as it is now hosted elsewhere.

Last edited:
We can upload them to the terminals wiki for general access.

I want to collect together all the necessary files for the various terminal servers and X Window System terminals (they often netboot their server software from a host) in a central place and linked from the terminals wiki.

That would be good if you could host that type of software. It can be hard to find.

I think I previously sent you a set of 3 CD images for HP Netstation Software Version 7.1 for HP ENVIZEX, ENTRIA and 700/RX, and Version 9.1 for HP ENVIZEX II and ENTRIA II X Window System terminals.

I also recently found an original NCDware 5.1.40 software CD after I had been looking for one of those for a while and couldn't find a CD image on the net.

Back to DECserver software, the following can be found on various sets of VMS Consolidated Software Distribution / Software Layered Product Library CD sets over the years and I have these:

DECserver 200 - VCBAA Version 3.3 [DS2033]
DECserver 250 - VTMAA Version 2.0 [DS25020]
DECserver 300 - VTUAA Version 2.2C [DS3C022]
DECserver 500/550 - 03KAA Version 2.2 [DS5022]
DECserver 700 - XA5AA Version 1.1C [DS7C011]
DECserver 90 TL - MJPAA Version 1.1C [DS9C011]

I don't have these, which were on some Consolidated Software Distribution / Layered Products Software Binaries / Software Product Library Supplement CD sets around 1993 - 1995:

DECserver Network Access Software - 0LWAA Version 1.0 [NA7010], Version 1.3 [NA7013], or Version 1.5 [NA7015]

Not sure what those include. Maybe early versions of files later available on the "DECserver Network Access Software 2.4" CD.

Last edited:

Excellent. Thanks a bunch for doing that. One thing to note with that image is that it was imaged with 2352 byte sectors. I couldn't directly mount the image file on a Windows system. I used ImgBurn to burn the image to a physical CD, then used ImgBurn to read it back into a new image with 2048 byte sectors. I was then able to mount that image file on a Windows system, and also attach the 2048 byte sector image file to a SIMH VAX running OpenVMS and mount it there.

Took a bit to figure out how to install DNAS V2.4 on OpenVMS from the CD.

First I copied DNASVAX.EXE from the CD to a scratch directory, for example:
$ COPY DUA1:[DNAS.OPENVMS]DNASVAX.EXE;1 DUA0:[SCRATCH]

Then run that self-extracting file DNASVAX.EXE in the scratch directory, for example
$ SET DEF DUA0:[SCRATCH]
$ RUN DNASVAX.EXE

That should extract the backup file DNAS024.BCK into the scratch directory.

Then restore the installation file set from the backup file DNAS024.BCK, for example:
$ BACKUP DNAS024.BCK/SAVE_SET DUA0:[SCRATCH]

Then run VMSINSTAL to install from the DNAS024 installation files restored from the backup file DNAS024.BCK, for example:
$ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL DNAS024 DUA0:[SCRATCH] OPTIONS N

Among other things that installs copies of MNENG2.SYS, MNENG3.SYS, and WWENG2.SYS to SYS$COMMON:[DECSERVER].

After doing all of that I was able to get a DECserver 90TL to boot from the MNENG3 image. I haven't looked at it to see what operational changes there might be between the MNENG1 image I already had and the MNENG3 image.

Note that this only works on a DECserver 90TL with a 4MB SIMM installed. With a 1MB SIMM installed there is only enough memory for the MNENG1 image.

Apparently the MNENG2 image is a compressed version of the MNENG3 image. It took the DECserver 90TL over 6 minutes to download the MNENG2 image and then decompress it and initialize compared to only just over 1 minute to download the MNENG3 image and initialize. The only reason to use the MNENG2 image is on a DECserver 90M which only has 1MB of flash to store the image. A DECserver 90M with 4MB of flash can store the MNENG3 image.

Example of successfully booting a 4MB DECserver 90TL from the MNENG3 image:

Code:
Local -901- Initializing DECserver 90TL 08-00-2B-A1-DB-53 FW V 2.0.0 HW 3.0

Local -960- Available Memory 4 Mbytes
Local -969- Requesting Specified Software MNENG3
Local -953- [MOP] Attempting to locate load host [ETHERNET]
Local -955- [MOP] Host AA-00-04-00-46-04 located [ETHERNET]
Local -956- [MOP] Requesting load from host AA-00-04-00-46-04
Local -903- [MOP] Loading from host AA-00-04-00-46-04
Local -904- Image load complete

Local - Telnet listener failed to bind socket
Local - LPD listener failed to bind socket
Local - No internet address - SNMP not enabled
Local -040- Software initialization complete

Network Access SW V2.4 BL50 for DS90TL

(c) Copyright 2000, Digital Networks, DNPG, LLC - All Rights Reserved

Please type HELP if you need assistance

Enter username>

Excellent. Thanks a bunch for doing that. One thing to note with that image is that it was imaged with 2352 byte sectors. I couldn't directly mount the image file on a Windows system. I used ImgBurn to burn the image to a physical CD, then used ImgBurn to read it back into a new image with 2048 byte sectors. I was then able to mount that image file on a Windows system, and also attach the 2048 byte sector image file to a SIMH VAX running OpenVMS and mount it there.
I don't know - it was imaged over 15 years ago when I got it. I did mount it on Windows before uploading it, and it mounted fine and was readable with Daemon Tools Lite 4.49.1.0356.

One update on this. I have two DECserver 90TL, DSRVE-M. One had 1MB of RAM and could only load MNENG1, the other had 4MB of RAM and could load MNENG3. They have a single 72-pin SIMM slot.

The single-sided 1MB SIMM has 10 256Kx4 chips, I guess that must be a 40-bit wide ECC SIMM? That is an original DEC part MS40-WA.

The double-sided 4MB SIMM has 8 1Mx4 chips on the top and 4 1Mx1 chips on the bottom. That might not be an original DEC part and might have been a user upgrade. The SIMM socket is mounted horizontally and there isn't really sufficient clearance under the SIMM for a double-sided SIMM. I didn't realize that until I bought another double-sided SIMM to upgrade the 1MB unit and found that SIMM wouldn't latch into place at all due to chips on the SIMM hitting chips on the main PCB underneath.

Today got a couple of single-sided 4MB 12-chip SIMMs with the 8 1Mx4 plus 4 1Mx1 chips configuration to try. They are extra tall but that isn't an issue when they are mounted horizontally. They fit and latch into place and work just fine.

Just passing the info along in case anyone else has a 1MB DECserver 90TL, DSRVE-M they want to upgrade to 4MB to be able to load the MNENG3 software.

DS90TL-Top.jpg
DS90TL-Side.jpg

Last edited:
I only have one H7082-AA power supply. That is the wall mount version that plugs directly into the AC socket. There is also the H7082-AB which has a IEC socket for the AC power cord for international use. If you have to buy an H7082 power supply separately they usually want more for them than the DECserver 90 modules.

The H7082 is 5V only. There is also the H7827 which is 5V and 12V. They both use the same mini-DIN 7 connector but with different pinouts. As far as I could tell you couldn't use an H7827 for a module which only needed the 5V from an H7082. It appears that if you swapped the wrong power supply either way with the wrong module the result would be shorting the power rail(s) to ground. The DECagent 90 and the DECbridge 90 are some of the modules that need both 5V and 12V.

I should double check my notes on the mini-DIN 7 pinouts and post those. If you have a 5V only module but no power supply you should be able to wire up a cable from any 5V 2A supply to a min-DIN 7 plug. The H7082 is actually rated at 5.1V, maybe just to have a slight margin.

I also have a DEChub 90 to mount up to 8 modules together. Fortunately it came with the H7876 power supply. Those are another thing that if you have to buy them separately they usually want more for the power supply than for the DEChub 90.

This is what I found for the mini-DIN 7 pinouts for the H7082 and H7827 power supplies, as viewed when looking into the male pins of the plug. The shield frame around the pins is connected to earth ground, and isolated from the output pins.

H7082.jpg

H7827.jpg

If I had a DECserver 90 module which required the +5V only H7082 I might look for something like a Mean-Well GST18A05 for around $12 new, or scavenge a used +5V for cheap or free, and wire it up to a mini-DIN 7 plug.

Last edited:
There is also the H7265 (AKA LUP30-23) +5V and +12V supply which has the same mini-DIN 7 pinout as the H7827. That is the standard supply in the MultiStack mounting base. Those don't seem to be common or cheap either.

Another follow up on this old post. I recently acquired a DECserver 900TM. That is a 32-port server that is powered from and connects to the network through either a DEChub 900 MultiSwitch, a DEChub ONE, or a DEChub ONE-MX.

It has no built-in boot flash. It can either boot the WWENG2 load image from the network, or from an optional PCMCIA linear flash card. The DECserver 900TM that I acquired did not come with a PCMCIA linear flash card. I could not find any documentation anywhere which lists the PCMCIA linear flash cards that are compatible with it.

I happened to have on hand an Intel Series 2 Flash, 4 Mbyte Memory Card iMC004FLSA-15 and an Intel Series 2 Flash, 10 Mbyte Memory card iMC010FLSA-15. I was able to boot the DECserver 900TM from the WWENG2 load image over the network and store the load image on both the 4MB iMC004FLSA-15 and 10MB iMC010FLSA-15 cards, and then boot the DECserver 900TM from the WWENG2 load image stored on both of those cards.

Code:
Local> SHOW MEMORY

Dynamic RAM:                                     4 M bytes

Non-Volatile RAM:                               64 K bytes

Flash RAM:
  Installed:                                           Yes
  Total size:                                    4 M bytes
  Boot block:                                        Valid
  Load Image:
    Name:
    Size:                                          0 bytes
    Version:

Local> SET PRIV
Password>
Local> INITIALIZE SERVER FROM ETHERNET UPDATE FLASHRAM DELAY 0
Local -901- Initializing DECserver 900TM  00-60-6D-1B-43-34  FW V7.1-0 HW 1.6
Local -969- Requesting Specified Software: WWENG2
Local -953- [MOP] Attempting to locate load host [ISO8802]
Local -953- [MOP] Attempting to locate load host [ETHERNET]
Local -955- [MOP] Host AA-00-04-00-46-04 located [ETHERNET]
Local -956- [MOP] Requesting load from host AA-00-04-00-46-04
Local -903- [MOP] Loading from host AA-00-04-00-46-04
Local -909- Requesting software update of Flash RAM
            (This can take several minutes, please be patient)

Local -041- Flash RAM update complete

Network Access SW V2.4 BL50 for DS900TM

(c) Copyright 2000, Digital Networks - All Rights Reserved

Enter username> USER

Local> SHOW MEMORY

Dynamic RAM:                                     4 M bytes

Non-Volatile RAM:                               64 K bytes

Flash RAM:
  Installed:                                           Yes
  Total size:                                    4 M bytes
  Boot block:                                        Valid
  Load Image:
    Name:                                           WWENG2
    Size:                                    1775396 bytes
    Version:                   Network Access SW V2.4 BL50

Local> INITIALIZE DELAY 0
Local -901- Initializing DECserver 900TM  00-60-6D-1B-43-34  FW V7.1-0 HW 1.6
Local -969- Requesting Specified Software: WWENG2
Local -959- [FLASH] Attempting to locate load image [FLASHRAM]

Network Access SW V2.4 BL50 for DS900TM

(c) Copyright 2000, Digital Networks - All Rights Reserved

Enter username>

I imagine an Intel Series 2 Flash, 2 Mbyte Memory Card iMC002FLSA-15 would also work. I don't have one of those to try and I haven't found any cheap enough to buy for the experiment.

I also have a SMART Modular Technologies SM9FCSC12M002 12MB Flash Card which I tried. I got "Local -042- Flash RAM update failed" and "Local -610- Unknown Flash RAM device ID detected" errors with that one.

Although I can't find it now, I did buy some 2MB flash cards on Ebay years ago for my DECserver 900TM. I think they were labeled NCR but that was probably just a rebranding. A Google search did turn up this page <http://compgroups.net/comp.os.vms/decserver-900tm/516410> which is probably where I found out what to look for. It specifies a Mitsubishi 2MB card which sounds familiar. Specifically the Mitsubishi MELCARD MF82M1-GBDAT01.

Looking on Ebay now I see they were much cheaper back in in 2005 or whatever... lol I'm sure I paid about $5 for two. But I haven't seen them since I moved. :sleepy:

Back