• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xenix

tenox

Experienced Member
I'd like to say Hi to everyone. As there is "Xenix" in the forum name just to show of bellow is an image of my AT/286 running Xenix 2.3.2. This picture has been taken just few days ago.

286_Xenix.jpg

Best regards
A

Yeah, that'd be my guess too, seeing as, in the bottom right hand corner, it says "Microsoft Word"

At first glance, I though it might have been Lyra, the SCO word processor, but then, yeah, saw the obvious.

Man - I had a whole TON of SCO Xenix and Unix software. Got thrown out by accident about 5 years ago. I had it in one of those underbed plastic bins. Had everything from SCO's apps, to WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, etc.. It was a stash that took me 10 years to put together! Still kick myself for that mistake....

I cut my teeth on *nix using SCO Xenix 2.something many years ago (1988-89 I'd say?). went to 2.3.2, then switched over to SCO Unix, then picked up Novell and winders along the way. Then came SCO Open DeskTop and Open Server....

I still think Novell is the best and fastest file server ever, but you couldn't even GIVE it to companies 5 years ago, let alone today.

I wonder how they are still in business?

T

Hey tenox, nice pic!

Btw, what is the application you're running in the picture?

Hey,

This is of course Microsoft Word. I also have Excel aka Multiplan, Fox Base, Lyrix, etc. running on the machine. Oh an Microsoft BASIC of course!

MS BASIC

Best regards
Antoni

At first glance, I though it might have been Lyra, the SCO word processor, but then, yeah, saw the obvious.

Man - I had a whole TON of SCO Xenix and Unix software. Got thrown out by accident about 5 years ago. I had it in one of those underbed plastic bins. Had everything from SCO's apps, to WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, etc.. It was a stash that took me 10 years to put together! Still kick myself for that mistake....

I still think Novell is the best and fastest file server ever, but you couldn't even GIVE it to companies 5 years ago, let alone today.

I wonder how they are still in business?

T

What a mistake indeed. It took me many years to collect it as well. Fortunately everything is imaged and stored on tapes in a safe deposit box along with this: MS Floppies ;)

PS
It's SCO Lyrix not Lyra ;)

A

A lot of state agencies still use Novell just since they were tied into it and using NDS for their domain servers. Honestly they'd probably lose their business if someone would just write an account converter script for the alternative domain servers/services.

Novell has barely stayed afloat by buying other companies like SuSe. Similar to Sco thinking they're still a company.

Anyway, yeah I have Xenix somewhere but still haven't had time to play with it but I think I only have it for TRS-80 model II.

- John

A lot of state agencies still use Novell just since they were tied into it and using NDS for their domain servers. Honestly they'd probably lose their business if someone would just write an account converter script for the alternative domain servers/services.

Novell has barely stayed afloat by buying other companies like SuSe. Similar to Sco thinking they're still a company.

Anyway, yeah I have Xenix somewhere but still haven't had time to play with it but I think I only have it for TRS-80 model II.

- John

Just a correction SCO is actually dead or actually Sun Microsystems bought it as Tarantella. Whatever lies under sco.com domain and SCO name is in fact Caldera. Anyway it's all dead companies now.

unixware3.png

The attempt to sue the *** out of IBM and Linux companies probably was grasping at the last straw. Too bad, if they had choosen another attitude they may have become popular in wide circles, instead of ridiculed at. I respect copyrights and all that, but it all looked a bit desperate. In particular as Caldera sold (?) their own Linux variant as well.

Actually, I preferred Caldera OpenLinux to all the rest!
Back in about 1999 or so, I had this old laptop (HP) and OpenLinux and Corel Linux were the only two that would work out-of-the-box with my Raytheon 2MBit PCMCIA wireless cards. All the other were a total nghtmare to even BEGIN to get it to work.

Novell was smart - they asked the court to set aside a few mil of SCO's money, because they knew what they were trying to do - get bought out by IBM.

Pretty transparent, IMHO.

T

Lately, I've been looking to work with older SUS unix OSes, and it brought me to Xenix. Anyways, what's the name of that computer you're using? I see "blackmax" and I tried a google search on it, but got nothing. :(

Yes, this is ESCOM BlackMax. Escom was a German PC manufacturer. See the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escom_(computer_corp).

Essentially this is 12 MHz 286 with 287 coprocessor, 40MB HDD and 4 MB RAM. It has two graphics cards HGA/MDA and VGA and is an ultra small form factor machine. I use it to run vintage 286 based OSes. My next project is recently acquired Coherent 286.

Back