• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc - 120MB Seagate HDD file conversion

retro-pc_user

Veteran Member
I checked the hard drive with Norton Disk Doctor for DOS after I fixed the MBR (had a boot sector virus) and it worked great until it got to the point where it put files into either FILE000X._DD (Norton Disk Doctor file format) or DIR0000X (those have actual files inside of the directories, thankfully).

Currently, the Zenith Data Systems Z-Note 325Lc runs DOS 6.22/Windows 3.1 ZDS on a 1GB CF card (CF2IDE) and I just need to get these ._DD files converted back to the regular files and see if it has the SETLANID program since I need to reinstate the LAN ID in the BIOS (I thought the one hard drive I had installed in the system was not working with the BIOS, but it turned out I broke the ribbon cable and fixed it after I cleared the settings via shorting R39 on the board adjacent to the FPU socket).

How would I convert the ._DD files to the original files?

There isn't a way to convert these files back to their original file names since the files in question were cross-linked with other files or the info in the FAT which points to the location of the files in the disk was corrupted.. NDD usually saves the "what remains of" contents of these file into ._DD files.... and btw what was the name of the boot sector virus?

The laptop I was using to diagnose the hard drive had the boot sector virus option enabled and when I ran fdisk /mbr, it reported the drive had a possible virus. After repairing the MBR and running NDD, it sprung to life (mostly).

I found a website that could translate those files and a lot of them were either autoexec.bat files, config.sys file, driver setup for printers, and some icons.

it seems that the "possible virus" alarm was due to running FDISK /MBR and not a virus infection after all.. about those files you can use a file format renaming utility to rename them to their proper file extensions like .exe, .jpg, .doc, .txt etc..

Last edited:
Back