• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My AltairPC case design

vbriel

Experienced Member
For those who haven't read the Computer Collector Newsletter my newest project is a PC case that resembles an Altair 8800. I'm about 90% done with the prototype and still have some firmware to write but things are coming along faster than expected. The front panel of the case will be a functional replica of the Altair 8800 front panel. You will be able to store and load memory locations, run small programs in the 256byte onboard RAM. The 2 aux switches are being used to generate demo modes such as blinking light demos, simple light chasing games and other stuff like that.

In addition, the front panel has USB connector that allows it to connect to a PC to work with an emulator. The firmware hasn't been written for that function yet, but it is in the works.

You don't have to worry about loosing your DVD or floppy drives because the front panel is hinged to open up revealing your drives.

Here's a pic of the AltairPC in an early prototype stage:

http://www.brielcomputers.com/altairpc.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of the project.

Cheers,

Vince

I have a new picture on my website. With the overlay panel it is really coming around nice. I can't wait to show it off at the VCF east in May! I just dropped a new Celeron D 310 and it is not your vintage Celeron of old, it humms along. Still working on the fun features on the front panel and I'm trying to come up with a cool pattern for the lights when the drive is being accessed. I was thinking just random lights but maybe I'll put a pattern to it. With all those lights, you'll know when you're accessing the hard drive!

Hmm. If I get a chance maybe I'll set up my Altair and film it reading the disks. There is a particular light pattern that it does. . . :)

So, are you going to make a kit to make these, or is that just Olad's bag?

Vince-

I like it. Please keep us informed of your progress.

steve

I'm not sure about a kit yet. This definately won't be like building a replica. It is much more hardware complex. I'm considering this idea though because building something always makes you respect and enjoy it that much more.

Vince

Back