• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Networking with Windows 3.1

dongfeng

Veteran Member
Hello, I didn't come to this website for some time, I've been busy with my studies for a long time, thankfully I have now graduated, so I have been busy working hard :D

Just a quick question. I've been given a Dell 486, it's in lovely condition and came with all of it's it's original manuals and disks for DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 as well as the Microsoft Office Suite. What I would like to know is, with a suitable ISA networking card would it be possible to connect the machine to my home network to enable it to access the Internet? I would prefer to keep Windows 3.1, as it's the original OS for this computer.

Regards,

Welcome back dongfeng!

You should certainly be able to get a Win3.1 box running on your network with a standard network card and relatively easy configuration.

BTW, I moved this thread to general OT. I realize Win 3.1 is obsolete, but it's not quite vintage. . .

I know I let the Windows 3.0 thread fly, but I've never been known as Mr. Consistency! :D

No problem Erik, I did wonder if the question was borderline on "vintage"! But I wasn't sure where else to ask. :)

It's good to hear 3.1 can be networked. I know 3.11 certainly can, but that's not the point! Thank you~

alexkerhead said:
Windows 3.0 is cool though. Has the nicest boot screen of any windows version!
^.^

I know! I am very tempted to load up 3.0 instead of 3.1 purely becuase of that! I haven't decided what to do yet. The machine is so original, I am not sure I want to change anything. But I guess it's only software... it can be put back...

dongfeng said:
I know! I am very tempted to load up 3.0 instead of 3.1 purely becuase of that! I haven't decided what to do yet. The machine is so original, I am not sure I want to change anything. But I guess it's only software... it can be put back...
I agree, you need Windows 3.0, even the interface is cool compared to 3.1, it looks a lot little like windows 1.1, but not really. It is wierd.
You can get a copy of windows 3.1 running anytime, it is standard, but windows 3.0 is very rare to see in operation because of stability issues, but someone who knows what they are doing can handle that.
Another cool feature, windows 3.0 is the closest thing to a mac os rip off I have ever seen..lol
Now I got myself wanting to load win 3.0 on my DGI laptop.

Don't you need 3rd party software like Trumpet Winsock to network 3.1? I have never dealt with it myself, but I kind of remember when we run a modem pool at the Student Union and made install guides for various OS, and 3.1 needed this extra software to get a TCP/IP connection via PPP. Hm, maybe I'm mixing and matching buzzwords now?

carlsson wrote:

> Don't you need 3rd party software like Trumpet
> Winsock to network 3.1? I have never dealt with it
> myself, but I kind of remember when we run a modem
> pool at the Student Union and made install guides for
> various OS, and 3.1 needed this extra software to get
> a TCP/IP connection via PPP. Hm, maybe I'm mixing and
> matching buzzwords now?

Yes, I setup an internet connection a number of years back in
Win3.1 & that was the problem. You needed Trumpet Winsock to
get the TCP/IP connection. It's okay, but the silly thing is
cripple ware (you can only use it for a short period of time).
I found DOS was the better alternative - though the best DOS
internet stuff -needs- developing. OS/2 Warp v3 has a dialer &
a freeware PPP was available to anyone who could find it & if
your lucky you maybe able to find a copy of Netscape 2.02
which was the best thing for it.

CP/M User.

That very well be the case. I know you can network 3.11 with no problems, but I think earlier versions you had to use the DOS network drivers and/or a third party software.

Indeed. I wrote a wordy tutorial about that on my site a while back..
Good reading.
I know this is demeaning to we experts, but I wrote this for people who know windows xp only..lol
OK, since M$'s software is so expensive, I have devised an easy way to get online with Microsoft for free.
Materials:
Pentium I or older machine with CDROM, and a clean formatted hard disk.
Windows 3.1 compatible nic, like SMC EtherEZ, or NE2000 isa card.
Dos 6.22 on floppies (use the disk makers to make the floppies)Available Here
Windows 3.11 on floppies (use the disk makers to make the floppies) or CDROM (unzip all zips int0o a directory on a CD) Available Here
Windows tcp/ip protocol for windows 3.11Available Here
IE5.01 for Windows 3.11 Available Here
CDROM Driver for dos, load these files to a floppy Available Here

Steps:
Make the disks with dos 6.22 on them, should be 3 of them.
Insert the #1 disk into the floppy drive.
Boot the computer, and install dos, should be easy.
Restart the PC, and install the CDROM driver for dos off the floppy by typing a: (enter button) then install (enter button) .
Restart the PC.
Insert the CD containing the windows folder, or the floppy #1 of the 8 disk set.
For Floppies, type a: (enter button) then setup . For CD, type D: (enter button) then cd\directory you extracted the windows install files to *ex. cd\win311* (enter button) then type setup (enter button)
Go through all the steps.
When done, restart the PC.
It will load to the dos prompt.
Type win (enter button)
Windows will load.
Click the Network folder on the program area in windows.
Click the Installed networks area, if you notice, the old protocols are still installed, delete the installed protocols.
Click the add button, and click protocol, select the unlisted or updated option.
Find the tcp/ip files you extracted, and select that directory.
Windows should configure this for you, except you will need to select *detect using dhcp* or enter your ip, and isp information.
Restart the computer.
Type win (enter button) at dos prompt
Then find where you put the ie5 install file, and install it, just like windows 98, well almost.
When IE is done installing, restart the PC (clicking *file* then Exit windows) and restarting the pc at the dos prompt, after dos has loaded type win (enter button) at dos prompt.
Click Internet tools folder, and then click Internet explorer.
It will prompt you to install a modem, click cancel.
When IE loads, goto the tools tab, and click Internet options.
Goto the area called *connections*
Click the area that says something like *use the LAN or other Internet dialer*
Exit IE, and reload it.
If you followed these instructions carefully you will have Internet access.
OK, you are still using 16 colors, and Internet doesn't like 16 colors.
You will need to install your video drivers, you can get multiple drivers for windows 3.11 at www.driverguide.com, with a free sign up.
After you install the drivers and restarted and typed win (enter button) at the c:\, goto the main folder on the program area and click windows setup. There should be a tab to change settings, and go there and click the tab down on the video area, click in the card you installed, and the resolution you want, as well as color depth. If you cant get a driver for windows 3.11, click the super VGA 256 color option. 256 colors aren't great, but aren't terrible either.
After you are done, restart windows like I stated before.
----NOTE---Do not type the asterisks (*<these are asterisks>*)------
Once you’re at the dos prompt c:\.
Type edit *autoexec.bat*
Then add the command *win* under the last text line of the file.
Hit alt, then scroll down to the save option, hit enter. Then alt then exit.
Hit the restart button on the PC, and it should load windows on startup.
Yeah, you have successfully made a windows 3.11 Internet machine, a free Microsoft system...

Note:
This is difficult, and quite pointless, but if you are like me, you should have fun doing it, it is quite a feat to do. Please also note this was typed up on the same Windows 3.11 Machine.

-Written by Alex Rushing for www.ubertechworld.com on 02-17-2006- -All rights reserved-

Thanks guys!

Should be picking up the computer soon, a relative has been using it for the last few years, so I hope it is still in good order!

I got it working! Thanks all... although I used IE 2.0 since my machine only has a floppy drive. Oh, and the links to the TCP/IP add-on are for the update only, you need version 3.11 of TCP/IP first.

Back