• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I started another Yahoo Group - Club68k

I joined. I have a couple of ST's, hopefully we can make all the 68k machines work together. Carlsson has a point. Let's make 'em talk. Has there ever been a 68k server? That'd be neat.

Nathan

A 68K server? The best one I ever seen is the mint AWS95 68040/33 I have in my basement, but that is a Mac.

I wouldn't be too suer there were no 68000 based servers prior to the Mac stuph. Not realy sure, but there were funky things out there. Something to be discovered...

There was also this group of articles in Radio Electronics back in the 80s where a 68k machine was built all around the various common clone components available back then. In fact, there were 2 sets of articles. The one carried it out to it's limit, not sure about the artwork, but earlier on there was a description of a project that apparently was popular in Europe (maybe Anders has some idea of what I'm talking about). That didn't pan out well unfortunately (in the magazine). I'll scan some of this stuph one of these days and post it up so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Where's Dimension Dude!! LOL

"Unix providers such as Sun and Hewlett-Packard started out on 68000 systems:"

Yes yes let's not forget those.

"Sun-1, Sun-2, Sun-3 (020, 030)
http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/faq_hardware/hwref1.html"

I know that dude. He gave me an IBM System/23 Datamaster...phor phree! All I had to do was drive to Jersey City and pick it up. The sucker works too, except when it's real cold. And hello IBM...couldn't you have had designed the thing so the drive spindle isn't constantly rotating! Sheesh.

Bull/Honeywell and many more made early 68000 Unix boxes:
http://febcm.club.fr/english/bull_sps7.htm

You mean an important reason why NeXTs are collectable is because the first web server was developed/ran on one? I think due to it is all black is as good reason as that.

They're collectable because they're rare & because they where developed by Steve Jobs & his team (& not Woz). The first web server being developed on it would only slightly increase their Collectability.

I'm not DD but, my Dimension 68K runs CP/M-68K, a multi-user, multi-tasking OS, so I suppose it could be considered a somewhat primitive server. Then there's always the TRS-80 Model 16/16B/6000 (with 68K option), which is also a multi-user system, running Xenix.

--T

Back