• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powerbook 520c

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I picked up a 520c today at the discovery shop for $5, and it comes on and spins up and everything but the screen is compacted into the upper left corner. I had something like this happen with my toshibas and it was a display setting in the bios. Is this something similar?

Here's a bad pic, but you can see what it's doing even if you can't see the screen.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollmeupa20/detail?.dir=d87a&.dnm=92a6.jpg&.src=ph

Any ideas how to fix this? I have some os disks for it but nothing like setup disks. I've never known too much about macs. Just a little experience with my old PowerPC, now gone.

atari2600a said:
Looks like the resolution is set too low. Sometimes, LCDs do that w/ resolutions smaller than their own.

I've never seen it like that in the corner though, usually the low-res screens are centered.

Apple DID do a great job w/ their BIOSes since the original Mac though! On a PC of that time, the POST was very dark & uninviting, but on a Mac, It was very bright, confortable, happy looking! (Otherwise, Mac's would've sold alot less!)

Last edited:
I did some quick studying and can't really proceed until I can see what I'm doing. I have found one monitor cable for this thing (it has a plug in back for an external but it's proprietary and takes an adapter cable) but it's in England and from ebay so I'd rather buy one from someone here or another forum directly if I can. If it's a setting then I can change it that way. If it's the screen itself I can diagnose that, also.

Plus any accessories that this thing had available. There's an expansion bay on the left and mine is empty. I'm thinking pcmcia? Second hdd? What other things were available for it? How about the scsi cable for this? I can make a dock that way (I have plenty of unused cases for stuff to make a box).

But the monitor cable is priority at this moment.

I read some of the manual, and this thing can be used as a slave drive (or another mac can be slaved to it) as an external hdd. That sure is a neat feature!

I have since figured out that the screen has something wrong with it and since these laptops go for really cheap pretty much everywhere I'm going to replace it. Use this one for parts. I found several on ebay for less than $20, and I have a lot of parts even oif the one that I end up with is missing a few.

Back