• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

shipping from other countries

Chris2005

Banned
Does anyone have any experience shipping something substantial (like a puter) from say England? I'm curious of the cost. Are there better ways (i.e. shippers) then other? I'd think so.

British post is expensive, they say. I believe Dutch post is one of the less expensive, but the seller can't really take a train or ferry across the channel to post a package.

I have a personal grudge against Royal Mail, at Birthdays and the like, we wouldn't get money that people had sent in cards. Visits to my Grandmas would sometimes go along the lines of

"So, what did you splend your birthday money on?"
"...What birthday money?"
Thankfully this isn't an isolted case of senility, because it happens with other friends and relatives, unless there is a large and elaborate conspiracy asunder.

In the post, a card is obviously a card, in their bright envelpoes and springy tactileness, and of course someone had noticed the interesting habit of cards to have money in, and was helping themselves to our post. Now relatives send cheques or wait till they see us in person. A few months ago, a postal worker at the Eccles office which supplies our post was charged with theiving birthday cards and the like.

The same happened when I was in Plymouth! But just with cards (no money) that I sent to family. They always thought I was too lazy to remember, even though I insisted I had sent them! It turned out, the post woman who emptied my local letterbox was stealing the cards and putting them in her home. Weird!

Thankfully, that is the only time I've ever lost any post, the rest of the time it's been fine...

In that case, that someone must have a stack of new envelopes and transfer stamps from the old one? On the other hand, it is said that you should never send money in letters, in case of thieves, but one wouldn't think someone at the post office would be the crook.

Back to the topic, other delivery companies as DHL, Schenker, UPS and what else there are; I suppose they're even more expensive (or not even available) for single deliveries. If Chris makes constant business with someone in the UK so there are a dozen packages every week or more, maybe you could get an agreement with some shipping company.

Yeah Terry, you have to bite the bullet. I believe some stuff would cost only half as much to ship from e.g. Canada to Sweden than in the other direction. It is rather bizarre really, and makes us living in a country with high shipping costs more likely to feel bad about the buyer and offer goods for less money than otherwise. At least I feel like that.

Yes. :-( On the continent (Germany, Holland, Belgium and down), shipping is a bit lighter than here, even if you take the package the same distance but opposite direction.

Since everything else is utterly expensive in Norway (and the wages compensate for that), I wonder if shipping abroad also is horrible. Maybe I should look it up or wait for Bo or someone else to answer that. It might be so that is one of the most expensive countries in the world to ship from.

Back