• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A web forum to rival Eriks! *Gasp*

Status
Not open for further replies.

atari2600a

Veteran Member
http://mtac.profusehost.net/forum/

Thought I'd start my own little utopia (plus the software came w/ the hosting :p)

Basically, it's just a forum for vintage video-game & computer...People I guess. Also, it's ALOT less sensored & less based around the rule book than this one (& also less developed :p)

Basically, anything goes there. No strict guidelines whatsoever...

(If you join, please use the same handle you use here. You know, to avoid confusion & stuff...)

Last edited:
Um, there's like nothing there. All I see is a login, no forums or topics or anything. Do you have to login to see them or something?

-VK

Atari,

I wish you the best of luck in your new forum. I particular like the fairly loose structure of this forum, and being a moderator means I take it fairly seriously. I hope your less structured and 'anything goes' policy works out well for you - we'll miss you!

I've had forums before...Little or no rules generally results in chaos and the forum forgetting what it was made for. I tried that approach, and I don't have a forum anymore which just goes to show.

http://www.frakninstapo.proboards26.com-See? nothing there. I had to close it because people just mucked about and preffered expletives to reason and a well-built vocabulary. Being a moderator or an admin is hard. Too loose and entropy increases and finally results in an abandoned forum. Too strict and you scare people away. I couldn't do it, thats why I respect Erik's ability to choose fair moderators and keep this forum afloat.

I sincerely hope that your forum works, but I can't see it getting off the ground.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, here. Please prove me wrong.

I agree, but the best method is silent administration, if a member screws with me/other member too much, I ban him/her with no prelude to it. I give my members three strikes, and then banned. Key is, don't let other members know the other member was banned, just lock their IP address and name out, but don't say anything. Works quite well. I have had a clean and well behaved forum for years.
Here is the forum I am referring too.
http://www.ubertechworld.com/forums/

I never had any problem with my forum. It's nothing to do with computers though :lol:

Atari, who do we need another Vintage Computer Forum? This one is by far the best I've found in regards to the knowledge of the posters. :)

I agree. This is one of the best on' tinterent The people here are very knowledgable and really know what they are talking about, not including myself. I'm just here to learn and for the company.

vlad said:
Um, there's like nothing there. All I see is a login, no forums or topics or anything. Do you have to login to see them or something?

-VK

Sorry, I'll have to mess w/ the admin settings a little longer. Try logging in, or I think there's a guest button some where...

As for the "why another one?" question, remember it's a forum based around vintage computers AND video-games.

atari2600a said:
Sorry, I'll have to mess w/ the admin settings a little longer. Try logging in, or I think there's a guest button some where...

As for the "why another one?" question, remember it's a forum based around vintage computers AND video-games.

Well, we've got atariage, etc, and vcforum, et. al. Why rock daBoat?

--T

atari2600a said:
Atariage=only Atari
VCforum=only vintage-computers
Atariage+VCforum=2 seperate forums

MTAC=everything vintage video-games AND everything vintage computers.

Excuze me, but atariage often lends itself to discussion of OT 8-bit consoles, and vcforum has areas set aside for OT discussions as well. Don't get me wrong tho, I wholly support your effort, and wish you the best of luck. BTW. will you be including a forum devoted to emulators? That's kinda a grey area between PCs & consoles that a lot of forums don't address.

--T

"It's a floor wax! No, it's a dessert toping!"

"You're both wrong. New Shimmer is both a floor wax and a dessert topping."

He he. In the early 1970's, an environmentalist was on Swedish TV, showing how you could use artificial powder cream to wash your shirts. It virtually was a detergent, sold as a cream substitute. After that incident, the company took the artificial cream out of circulation for 25 years, until most people had forgotten about it and they could refine the recipe to make it more like a food product and less like a detergent.

The biggest challenge with starting a forum is to get a good readership. Those forums who restrict themselves to one brand or one topic often are more likely to get members than one trying to cover it all. Perhaps you could open a new + vintage computing forum targetted at people in your neighbourhood (city, state), and get some quality in that way.

While this forum is not large by any means, it is a bit unique for being relatively wide in topics. However, sometimes I feel that VCF is quite centered towards IBM PC/XT/AT. Most newcomers come here when they have an old PC that doesn't work, and also most of the seniors are having their special skills in that topic. Therefore, it will never be an AtariAge, a Lemon64 or Denial, a 99er.net, a Stairway to Hell or a Defence-Force. But that is nothing bad, every place have their speciality. The key is only for someone like Atari here to know what his speciality is if he promotes an own forum.

Terry Yager said:
Excuze me, but atariage often lends itself to discussion of OT 8-bit consoles, and vcforum has areas set aside for OT discussions as well. Don't get me wrong tho, I wholly support your effort, and wish you the best of luck. BTW. will you be including a forum devoted to emulators? That's kinda a grey area between PCs & consoles that a lot of forums don't address.

--T

Good call! I just added it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back