• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

OAfurf

Experienced Member
There already is an
EnableOA.jpg
Enable for DOS on the Vintage Board and I'm not going to repeat all that I've written there. But the title is misleading in that the last and greatest version of Enable is called Enable OA [Office Automation] and it's such a powerful tool that integrates well with all Window apps via its
Code:
.exec_dos
command. For example I use OA's intense database module to take a bunch of reports emailed from all around the country, and paste them into a couple of sized OA memo windows. The script lets me key or mouse a place, author, and date and pops open [again via the
Code:
.exec_dos
command] a full HTML field report in Mozilla Composer [for emailing with the NVU credit logo] and then pops it open again in Nvu from which it will later read the finished file back into the database table, stripping out the blockquote sections and giving it a unique dated name etc. and remembering where on the disk the new file is stored. These HTML filewill later be nested into a personal thank you letter to our ministry supporters. No two letters are the same as OA "remembers" what the supporter has or has not previously received.

Also in Enable OA I can point and shoot at any of the stored HTML files and OA will open it in the external HTML editor [either Mozilla or Nvu].

Enable OA has a powerful Spreadsheet Module, Word Processor and other goodies. We are working on supplying a CD to all who wish to experience the Power of Enable OA and Its Current Revival. /OAfurf

Last edited:
Finally!

Finally!

Glad to see some info on Enable OA finally making its way to the web!

I used Enable through its many versions for many years writing apps for a major candy manufacturer. When I left (5 years ago) at least a dozen major systems were driven by Enable and I think many are still in use there.

I still use Enable. The DBMS and especially the dot command procedural language runs circles around other systems to this day.

Question for anyone still using OA: The last cut I have is 59.9. What was the final cut released, and is there a source for that version?

I look forward to seeing others out there still using this (very capable) dinosaur join this discussion!

Will Scott

The OA Cabal

The OA Cabal

Bravo Will and welcome to the OA Cabal. There are three or four of us [one, Alan is in England using OA but he's generally silent] who have been a working group and one of us is signed on as midMichigan and has a post on the Enable for DOS section of this forum. He runs a major Michigan hardware supply business with OA. If you pump Enable for DOS into the Search engine above, it's worth going to [but only once as this thread supercedes that one] to click on the Thogscave link that midMichigan has supplied there and sign onto thogs. Mind you Thogs is no substitute for this fine forum but it puts you in the OA email loop. Thogs is owned by Peter, one of the OA Cabal who graciously supplied us access to his site.

The thogs loop will enable you to receive OA files and routines that are sometimes sent around. In fact I see this forum has an attachment icon so I'll try to attach the nifty wee OA routine huhcolor.wpf I just developed last night. A sort of fun thing with the OA .color command. Then there's also the Cabal doghouse and I must put your name in the :tellme: doghouse and attach the file here as a zipped file [it has a wpf and a mnu file]. That will come later.

My last cut is 61.6 and I just sent a thogsalert to ask if this is the final cut [I think it is] and another Cabbalist -- :D Carl -- has burned all the OA diskettes onto a CD and tested that OA can be installed from this CD, so we must get you that.

Here is what I sent to the thogscave regarding the attached huhcolor.wpf

Stumbled on a wee undocumented capability in the database display screen. One can color any of the lines any available color combo using the .color command in a bottom line Where prompt in such wise as you can have each line looking a different color. But only for as long as the where prompt stays open... sort of a way to look and see what such and such a combo color looks like.

To commemorate this discovery I attach a WP inport file. It's self-executing, loading itself as the report form and making it easy to input digits and see your various color combos. Want to copy a certain combo, huhcolor.wpf will optionally write it to the OA clipboard for you.

Hee Haw! RoundUp time at the OA Cabal.

OK, I tried uploading the WPF file but it doesn't have the acceptable filename extension for attachments. So since I had to make it into a zip file, I attached two files that run together for a point and shoot exercise for midMichigan. Now I see the zip file is attached. The 3 files are all WPF files but don't run the Sietper.WPF, it's an OA .perform file that will run when you load the 2ietsema.wpf file. But go with the HUHcolor.WPF first. Enjoy!

/OAfurf

Attachments

• Huhcolor.zip
    5.8 KB · Views: 1
You're Included in the Cabal Doghouse

You're Included in the Cabal Doghouse

Okay Will, I added you into the OA Cabal Doghouse. Unzip these 5 or 6 small files into a folder that is your current directory [or will become such for this purpose] and open CABAL.WPF in your word processor and lessee what happens. /OAfurf

Attachments

• OACabal.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 2
Just added another 200 lines of Procedural Language this weekend.

Just added another 200 lines of Procedural Language this weekend.

I've been using OA for the pst 20 years and have many thousands for lines of Procedural Language running DBF applications. It's been very dependable and stable. I occasionaly (every 2-3 months) have to reindex during the day if an index gets blown. I'm not sure why that happens, but it could be due to having about 50ish indexs open with 15 diffeent DBF open (several with 1/2 million records each:shocked: ) while having 15-20 users logged in accessing, adding, and updating records. Has anyone been able to re-index DBFs while others ahve the DBFs open??:?: I have to boot everyone out to run a macro that re-indexes everything.

Last month we lost a key manager (good friend and great husband/father). This leads to questions by my dad (65 years old) and our creditors about contingency plans for issues related to ourselfs if we should have an issue arrise that prevents us from keeping our daily juggle. I've listed this forum and the Thogs as a contact should that ever be needed (Lord willing it isn't needed).

It would be very interesting if it would be known to what extent OA is still used and maintained. :rolleyes: I think there are a lot of users that have no ideas that they are using OA in an app that has been a regular stand-by for years (they probably wouldn't know what OA is anyway).

Everyone have a GREAT 4th!! Shoot something in the air or light a sparkler with your kids and enjoy!!

Whew! All those indexes [indices]????

Whew! All those indexes [indices]????

MidMich: I'm :rolleyes: amazed it's only every few months. Indexes are prone to corruption in mulituser environments especially if records are being accessed by one user while another is adding new records [which auto updates indexes]. Why not use a daily reindex routine when first coming online for the day? It's no guarantee against corruption. Have you got all your table locking mechanisms in place?

Just had a peek at the Lan Installation booklet [dark green, I think it might have been later updated] and it's quite well documented on how the locking works. Read the part about the ADD screens. Do your users make use of the ADD/EDIT forms or are they mostly inputting from the report form? /oafurf

Last edited:
Indexes

Indexes

All records are added in a report form format. I read a master DBF with a field called "switch", while this is "2" I wait 1/2 second and re-read. When It's a "1" I change it to a "2", update the master DBF record and proceed with the adding and updating of 10-12 DBF and when finished recording an invoice I change the master DBF record switch field back to "1" and update it. It holds up eveyone while someone is adding or updating records. I tried the .Autolock with little success. It seemed that everyone just stood there waiting for that file to unlock.

You mention do an index during the day!!?? How can that be done if 10 others have the DBF's open?? The only way I've been able to index is close all users out of all DBF's, then reindex everything (this can take 10-15 minutes and isn't good on a Saturday morning!!).:(

Like I mentioned, it has only happened randomly and about once every 3-4 months and usually when we're not busy. That puzzles me because I would expect it more during very high traffic times.:confused:

Where in Michigan??

Where in Michigan??

I was told someone asked where in Michigan MidMichigan11 might be. West Central part of the state between the cities of Grand Rapids, Holland, and Grand Haven. Still a little rural here so we can continue farming, although most of our operation is slowly moving north of the Grand Rapids area.

Have a Great Dy!!

You mention do an index during the day!!?? How can that be done if 10 others have the DBF's open?? The only way I've been able to index is close all users out of all DBF's, then reindex everything (this can take 10-15 minutes and isn't good on a Saturday morning!!).:(
I meant to begin each day before users come online, with a routine to reindex all indexes.

Are you the only one with access to this switch field or does everyone see it and update it? Okay I gather you are using this in place of the non-working locking mechanism [which is odd, on all the years I was on the OA BBS, I don't recall anyone complaining that the .Autolock, etc. doesn't work]. Have you experimented with say, a set of dummy databases with just a couple fields in each to see if the lock doesn't work with a minimal configuration? You have a hefty configuration.

BTW, I was notified by the system that you had posted here. You can choose that if you wish via the Thread Subscription on your Edit screen.
/OAfurf

Integration Without Compromise

Integration Without Compromise

Integration Without Compromise was the Enable slogan from the start. One has to hand it to those programmers at The Software Group [later Enable Software]. I have customized an application on OA using an OA Spreadsheet to enter receivables, link to a database table via a OA custom menu, and generate an HTML thank-you acknowledgement, writing it out and popping it open in an external HTML editor using OA's .exec_dos command. :D Neat. /OAfurf

MidMichigan11 said:
All records are added in a report form format. I read a master DBF with a field called "switch", while this is "2" I wait 1/2 second and re-read. When It's a "1" I change it to a "2", update the master DBF record and proceed with the adding and updating of 10-12 DBF and when finished recording an invoice I change the master DBF record switch field back to "1" and update it. It holds up eveyone while someone is adding or updating records. I tried the .Autolock with little success. It seemed that everyone just stood there waiting for that file to unlock.

Tell me more; are not all the other users adding and updating? Do they do it via the switch field, or only you use the switch? I figure they must be using the switch method too.

It should be no :sarcasm: problem to set up a test situation on the same network using a primitive set of linked tables with a few dummy records and see if the locking mechanism works or doesn't. Because if it does work, there's got to be something in the design of the enterprise database that is confusing the autolock. /OAfurf

Switch Me!

Switch Me!

The autolock thing puzzles me and I haven't made the time to investigate as I originally set it up with the "switch" language. Everyone ADDs and UPDATEs the tables, they must first read a TT.DBF SWITCH (field name) of "1" and then update it to "2" so others read it and have to re-read it until they get a "1". I like the AUTOLOCK better since it doesn't have any time (milli-seconds) between the possiblity of 2 computers reading a "1" and both trying to update it to a "2". I have had it happen 6-10 times a year. I am pretty sure of this since I've had a few duplicate invoice numbers on sales. The TT.DBF holds the current invoice number and totals for the day and month (ToTal).

I know your right:!: , I need to set up an example and test it!! Just need the time or someone who I could deligate to:confused: . This may be a nice little project for my son (starting at Central Michigan U. this fall). He's in the NEW stuff and would probably no like trying to read this OLD stuff. If it's not HTML or whatever they're using today, it's BORING.

Those who take the time to learn the old DOS legacy software gain a true understanding of the GUI stuff because they get to know command line commands and command line parameters. OA can take a html page and instantly turn it into a database table with every html line read as a record; it can extract information from lines via the @match function and indeed rewrite the line if desireable. Although it could, there is usually no pressing need to store the HTML file as a separate table. Let OA read it, [re]name it, trim it, and save it to where it can later be retrieved and reprocessed by EnableOA.

In my enterprise app, I have OA create the html file from emailed text, then launch it for further emailing, then reprocess it to strip out the blockquote tags [for later printing of the file] and resave it. At the end of the month EnableOA will add a bunch of these html files to a WinZip archive.

Now what could be easier?

I did check the installation manual for networked OA and see that there are a lot of things that need to be just so. /OAfurf

Just so??

Just so??

I don't recall any of those other than using the shared drive with full rights and priviledges, and everyone logging into OA with a user ID (ie. endpm (,,,,d:\ahi),I=W1) where I=W1 is my user ID. I'll have to look at that again.:confused:

MidMich: How goes the autolock vs. the Switch tug of war? Have you tried the undocumented rolodex known as the .popup command? It could rolodex all the sizes, models etc. of a category... and it's mouseable. I haven't toyed with it in a bunch but it was fun when I last used it to assign cabins to campers on a campground. EnableOA is full of hidden goodies. :sigh: /OAfurf

Autolock

Autolock

I've got that one on the list!! :rolleyes: I've been working on installation of Acronis. Far superior to Norton Ghost but does take a little more work getting it installed and setup for a 2000 Advanced Server running a Domain Server and Terminal Services (a lot of work actually). All worth it though the way Acronis gets and does it's imaging with the Windows operating system. Norton required the machine to re-boot to a dos op system to get the image of Windows without system locks on files. :( When my test system went to re-boot after the image, it REFUSED to reboot to Windows and had to be reformated/installed , etc. A REAL headache. Thank goodness I tested it on my backup machine first. Thanks for the tip on Acronis. They liked the referral also ($1,200 later)!! :eek:

Rolodex and Autolock are still rolling around the thought process at 4am!!

Reboot

Reboot

Ghost actually sends a file to your boot sector and reboots to DOS for it to image the drive. Then sends the Windows boot file to the boot sector and reboots back to Windows. BAD!! BAD!! BAD!! idea. With my Raid controler/Windows setup for Domain/Terminal Server it wouldn't reboot to Windows. It DIED!!

Acronis images from within Windows and is completely Windows compatible. :p :p :p

Hello fellow Enable users,

I have used Enable OA for years and am very pleased to see this bulletin
board.

I wrote a realtime, multiuser, order processing ,packing slips,invoicing etc and accounting system for my small business about 15 years ago. I initially ran it on Dos, but migrated to OS/2 as soon as it became available, because the increased memory available made it far more stable and robust in operation.

This system is run almost entirely with procedural language programs run off a dummy database.

It has basically run non-stop since implementation on OS/2 ,(and still on the
original 486DX2 server which has almost never been turned off except for the odd error and power loss and new fan etc.) Since then I have used Enable for many different projects, the database module is a real workhorse!

When OS/2 became defunct I thought I'd better try to shift to windows.

I never purchased an Enable version made specifiaclly for windows, so I use the dos version, which I run under the dos command prompt in windows and runs fine except that I cannot print anything. Hence my first question, is there a true windows version of EnableOA?

If there is, I would love to get hold of it.

Failing that has anyone solved how to print in windows using the DOs version?

My second big ask is; does any one know how I can gain more Enable key numbers? I would dearly love to be able to run more concurrent users.

If you think I can be of assistance to you, please ask.

Thanks

David Bindoff

PS you might have gathered, I have not yet migrated my OS/2 system to windows. The OS/2 and Enable just keep working. Though I am developing a work around using ALPHA five under windows picking up and doing the printing for me , while all the old Enable programs still do the transaction processing. Alpha five does read enable database files quite well.

Back