• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

I still have to rank Enable as one of my favourite wp's/suites. I loved the fact I could have eight windows with eight docs open at the same time, and toggle between them, on an XT clone.
If you offer them for sale, put me down for "dibbs" on one of them.
patscc

operating systems

operating systems

Someone mentioned moving from OS/2 to Windows because OS/2 was defunct, has anyone tried to run it through eComStation?

Sorry, all the Enablers in out Thogs group ( http://www.thogscave.org/enable/Enable_O_A.html ) run under windows. XP seems to be the most efficent one that wants to play friendly. Thogs is being maintained by one of the original Enable writers, Pete.:cool:

hello

hello

just saying "hello" to anyone still reading through here, or still playing around with Enable (or Enable/2.15, or Enable/OA).

Nobody has any installation disks for the "Windows Version"; none were made. Standard DOS install, followed by a network install of various DLLs and so on that (with any luck) would show you a Windows application. ...at that point in development, near the end (in Oct. 1995), there weren't a whole lot of Quality Control (testers) or Development (programmers) still hanging about. In short, you probably don't want to dabble with the "Windows version" -- it was quite a ways away from a finished application.

Browsing through this thread, I see a few names (Pete Wargo, Gary Farkas) that I remember... and I can even remember (vaguely) what they looked like and/or where their office was located.

- Brian
(who worked there from 1987ish until they bolted the doors in 1995)

Question

Question

You worked there, do you know what ever happened to the source code? I had heard that Micro$oft purchased it just to bury it. I also heard that they lost their government contract and that it just went off into the night as an public licensed product. Anyway, whatever light you can shed would be great.

Thanks!

just saying "hello" to anyone still reading through here, or still playing around with Enable (or Enable/2.15, or Enable/OA).

Nobody has any installation disks for the "Windows Version"; none were made. Standard DOS install, followed by a network install of various DLLs and so on that (with any luck) would show you a Windows application. ...at that point in development, near the end (in Oct. 1995), there weren't a whole lot of Quality Control (testers) or Development (programmers) still hanging about. In short, you probably don't want to dabble with the "Windows version" -- it was quite a ways away from a finished application.

Browsing through this thread, I see a few names (Pete Wargo, Gary Farkas) that I remember... and I can even remember (vaguely) what they looked like and/or where their office was located.

- Brian
(who worked there from 1987ish until they bolted the doors in 1995)

Thogs

Thogs

appears that this thread has almost died completely. After FrFr (Farther Francis) stopped posting regularly it seems to have become quiet. FrFr told me at one time that he stopped in and assisted the group regularly as a beta tester. Carl Underwood was a part of the Enable group as well i understand, has retired and lives in Ohio doing a lot of local theater. Carlton was at carleton50@yahoo.com, and FrFr was at frfrancis@ohsaratoga.com. Not sure if they're active anymore. i do get Theater announcements from Carl still, pretty cool group the way it looks. if they were closer to Michigan i would stop in some day.

You worked there, do you know what ever happened to the source code? I had heard that Micro$oft purchased it just to bury it. I also heard that they lost their government contract and that it just went off into the night as an public licensed product. Anyway, whatever light you can shed would be great.

Thanks!

OK all you Enablers, there's still a pulse, and for some that are entrenched in an extensive application where cost to migrate is still hard to bite, necessity to keep running has found no end of workarounds.
It's not for any wish to be a holdout. Rock solid, million record capable relational database with strong SQL, I'll look first to compete with reliability before I look to switch.
Let's face it, it's survived a succession of MS OS's, the demise (almost) of Novell, 16 > 32 > 64 bit, but a burgeoning Linux and MS VM environment and IP printing has kept it on life support.
It's still my go to environment to convert db, csv or ASCII.
Still have a floppy disk somewhere that microsoft distributed in 1998 I think, at the time of the takeover, that MS claimed would convert all your DBs to Access. Sure.
An old expression,"tools for the job", and no unnecessary disrespect to MS, but come up with a better tool than Enable, even now,, and I'm yours.

Looks like I got here about 10 years too late. The links are all dead and everyone has moved on.

I developed business apps with Enable OA back in the early 90's when I was living in Australia. It was a fantastic piece of software and it was amazing what one could accomplish with it.

Does anyone out there have a link to a copy of the Enable OA version 4.5 installation media?

Back