• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Eagle AVL (similar to Eagle IIE)

newtonian

Picked up an Eagle AVL and am trying to boot it. Have boot discs for an Eagle IIE, but they don't work in it. Either it's not compatible, or it requires a different boot disk, or I've got a broken computer.

Would anyone know what this boots to?

Haven't seen any of these for sale. Are they collectible?

Hang on, are you actually using an Eagle based machine?

I know very little about Eagle machines - Terry, do did they
make 8bit & 16bit computers?

I heard somewhere Eagle machines using CP/M-86 (or MSDOS I
guess) had a customary version of CP/M-86 (they weren't IBM
based computers) - that's all I know about them though.

A copy of CP/M-86 v1.1b is available for the Eagle Computer
here.

CP/M User.

Yes, they offerred many different models, some 8-bit, Z80 powered CP/M machines, and some 16-bit PC compatibles. My 1984 Sourcebook lists 14 different models available that year.

I can't find any info on the AVL, but the IIE is an 8-bit CP/M machine, so the bootdisks prob'ly won't work in another machine, even another Eagle model. I suspect that the AVL may be one of the PC-compatibles.

Newtonian: Have you tried booting from a DOS disk, or looked inside to determine the type of processor? Can you post any pix?

--T

Last edited:
Well, it's been awhile and I'm just dusting it off.

Still nothing to boot it with....

Last edited:

Hi Newtonian: Not sure if you're still on these forums but I also have an AVL Eagle 1. Do you still have yours? Do you have the keyboard and disk drive? If so, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you.

Best,
-Tim

THIRTEEN YEARS LATER:

I would also love to hear more about your AVL Eagle and possibly buy it from you. I worked with that machine back in the early '80s, programming multi image slideshows. See my page about such things at www.stevenmichelsen.com/AVL.

Which Eagle do you have? The first one was a black square-ish box with separate monitor, disk drive and keyboard. See pic below. The "newer" Eagle was an all-in-one device.

BTW I have a few Eagle boot/procall disks. No idea if they still work though as I cannot test them. Procall was the program that allowed slide programming with up to thirty projectors

Best,
Steve

AVL_Eagle_I.jpg

Back