• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

old PCMCIA card reader and fdd

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I have an old 1994 pcmcia/fdd combo reader, Mitsumi model DP119F2, it hooks up standard to the fdd cable, and there are two IDE connectors on it. Do I use both?? The machine boots to a c:/ prompt easily enough, but nothing when I have it hooked up. I'm wondering if I have it hooked correctly. Is it a pass through for the IDE? I know the pic is fuzzy but you can see the two different IDE connectors and the fdd connector and power. The front has a bay for ONE card of any type, I, II, or III. Just the one connector in a taller bay fot a type III card. I've seen these on former military machines when the drives in them were taken when the machines were scrapped. I tried hooking up both connectors but got a black screen.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollmeupa20/detail?.dir=d8de&.dnm=cbbfre2.jpg&.src=ph

It is a vintage part, but it's in the off-topic thread cause it's going into a newish Linux box.

Anybody used these? Any tips on installing it?

/edit http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rollmeupa20/detail?.dir=d8de&.dnm=cbbfre2.jpg&.src=ph
this link has red letters and arrows. neat stuff.

Maybe two two IDE cables depending on whether it is master OR slave. Is it by chance an LS-120 drive?

Nathan,

Are you sure it's IDE? I have a PCMCIA reader from 1995, which jacks into it's own 16-bit ISA board through a pair of 50-pin cables, but it isn't SCSI, just because the connectors are the same. Your combo may need a similar (proprietary) board to work.

--T

A controller card makes sense. Sure looks like IDE but guess that doesn't mean anything.

Definitely not an LS-120, definitely has pins in there, and my pcmcia cards fit right in. I suppose I can't use it in the Linux box and I don't have any boards right now that have ISA slots that work. Doesn't mean much, since I don't have the card anyway.

Everything lights up initially with power. There are led's for both drives. That's normally a good indicator.

One of these days, I'll put together a 386 or 486 and use it then, if I can get ahold of a controller board. Back to researching. Thanks for the input!

Nathan

One other thing. If ya want to fool around with the one I have, I'll send it along, just cover the cost of shipping. I have no use for it, all I have are laptops. Pm me...

--T

Terry Yager said:
One other thing. If ya want to fool around with the one I have, I'll send it along, just cover the cost of shipping. I have no use for it, all I have are laptops. Pm me...

--T
No thanks, I still won't have the motherboard to run it. I'll keep you in mind if I do get something, though. Thanks!

Nathan

Back