• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any events in England?

bbcmicro

Veteran Member
Does anybody know if there are any interesting old computer related events in england?
I probably wont be able to go to any of them, but I'm curious as to wether there are any active groups in the UK. There doesn't seem to be many users in the UK, even more so since www.8bs.com went down for a complete overhaul. I mean, all the good stuff seems to happen in the USA and the mainland, whereas in the great nation that invented the er, um... False teeth! and er...ah.. Self Sprinkling Armchair! (It does exist! i've seen it!) the waters of technology bygones are rather tepid.

If you're looking for BBC stuff, there are plenty of other web sites and a rather active mailing list: http://www.thepenguin.org.uk/bbcb/ etc

There may not be so many UK users on this forum, but in other places there should be a lot. I can keep my eyes open if I see any announcements (BBC or otherwise) of events.

I'd go as far as all Sinclair machines have a big following in the UK, although the Speccy also has a big following in Poland and many other former East European countries. The Oric has a medium following in the UK and very many users in France. Amstrad and Dragon I dunno. Also "foreign" machines like Commodore, despite they were heavily overpriced by the UK sales agent.

I think Acorn, Amiga and sinclair/Amstrad have the largest place in the olde Computer society in the UK overall.

Spekky Sites

Spekky Sites

Did they have the spekky in USA ?

Does anyone know any cool zx spectrum websites. I read in a computer magazine few weeks ago that there was a site which you could play online all the old spectrum games, that looked identical to playing on a spekky,, I wrote the url down but lost it... does anyone know the site.. please leave a link thanks..

I think spectrum lisenced an american company called Timex to make clones... or am I confusing it with something else?

Last edited:
Yeah, Timex sold 1000, 1500, 2048, 2068 and perhaps a few more Sinclair related models in the USA. I think some even were manufactured at the same factories that put together Spectrums, and some Timex models may have been backimported to Europe.

Regarding Speccy links, I think World of Spectrum is the first stop. I vaguely recognize sites with Java enabled emulators of both ZX Spectrum and many other systems, but I can't remember any URL without googling for it.

I recall seeing advertizing & reviews for the QL in some American magazines, but I don't think they (actively) marketed any of the earlier Spectrum models over here.

--T

and not to mention the hundreds, maybe thousands of unlisenced Russian and Brazilan clones, even illegally using the exact same ROMs as any other speccy.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I doubt the Brazilian ones (not to mention the Russian ones) ever were imported and sold in the USA, particularly as they seem to have been made in the latter half of the 80'ties.

I'm fantasizing about a UK VCF. We don't have the resources to organize one yet - but one day we'll be rich and have a huge building and lots of sponsors and coachloads of vistors to the festival and ...

I think I need to go and lie down quietly before my brain overheats. :)

Is anyone of the UK people going to Eurocon 2006? 27-29th of October.

It is held in Blackpool, north west of England. As you can see from the "What is" page, it has toured around part of Europe for the past seven years; the Netherlands, UK, Austria and Germany.

http://www.sincil.co.uk/eurocon2006/

Just a thought for the UK people who want a convention with game playing, trading and beer drinking. :p

I'm not! I'm also not going to the RSGB radio and electronics fair in milton keynes on the 27th of august (I think!... at least the sunday nearest that day) It might be goodish for computery bits as the open university's base is near there, it's also a stone's throw from Bletchley Park (not that you're likely to get any bits from there appearing!)

Boo Hoo
Nig

After a bit of research, it seems Eurocon 2008 will be held in Germany. Last year it was in the Netherlands. But of course that event is held in the fall, so quite some time from now.

By the way, I saw on another forum there is a retro event near Birmingham, England on July 19-20th this year:

http://www.retrofusiononline.com/event08/

Generally speaking, there are dozens and more of different meets around Europe. I wonder if it would be worth the trouble to vacuum other forums and web pages for information and post all those events, or if those of you inclined to travel far to meets already keep track of most of those.

Back