• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Solong Steve Irwin...

and mind you I'm not likely to ever actually see a coyote or bobcat in the wild up here, they're so rare, so what possibly threat could they pose to humans or whatever? The one guy is a hunter trapper, and has never even seen a black bear up here in the wild.

Sorry, Chris, I'm not giving this discussion my full undivided attention at the moment. Bowling for Columbine is on the TV right now, and I'm just typing during the commercials.

--T

Just to refresh everyone, BFC is the movie by local filmmaker, Michael Moore, in which he convinced the K-Mart chain of department stores to stop selling handgun (& other 'non-sporting') types of ammunition (although, I personally question thier definition of 'sporting' ammo, my favorite for varmintin' being the 7.62mm, preferred for it's muzzle velocity, long range, and flat trajectory (providing accuracy at long ranges), although it is also used in most 'assault rifles' these days).

--T

Last edited:
we can only wonder the logic in this. I'm guessing more human deaths occur as a result of hunting incidents (could also be a deer running onto the freeway trying to escape...landing on the hood of someone's car, kicking it's way into the passenger compartment...and summarily out the back windshield...shreading itself and everyone else in the car) then by handguns which are lawfully owned and used. Then there's the deaths that are prevented by the ownership of handguns by law abiding citizens. MM is typical of the anti-gun crown who would like to see ALL of them gone.
No need for apologies. I don't even show up here everyday (to say the least). My only means of net access at the moment is via a hotspot at the library. And need to get busy with other things, so I'm cutting it down to about 3 sessions per week.

Well, he is a card-carrying member of the NRA, with marksmanship awards, etc, so he isn't completely anti gun, just the short ones, I s'poze. I kinda agree with him that places that don't sell handguns prolly shouldn't be selling ammo for 'em. And while I personally gave up huntin' & fishin' many yearz ago, I wouldn't take away anybody else's right to do so. I never did like 'baiting' for wild game either...just doesn't seem fair. A well-fed creature luring a hungry one, just to kill it over it's food?

--T

Well Troy, let me tell you how some of this works.

Despite our best efforts, things go off topic. My efforts have been particularly heavy handed, but it generally doesn't help .. people just tend to drift.

I'd suggest staying in the technical areas of the forum. It's less maddening. ;-)

Troy -
The off-topic categories tend to be a free for all. *Almost* anything goes. I don't see why you've taken it as disrespectful, none was intended. I was the one who caused the drift, but actually stated I had alot of respect for the guy. Maybe you could tell us how exactly you found it to be so.

I think that TroyW explaining why he found something disrespectful in an off-topic thread that was off-topic that the authors did not intend to be disrespectful would just take the off-topic off-topic thread and move it further off-topic. So I would advise TroyW to just run as far away from this as he can, and not be drawn into a debate about why the off-topic remarks in the off-topic thread may or may not be misconstrued as disrespectful.

Wildlife documentaries tend to be a bit bland if broadcasted on radio. In particular if they don't feature animals that are making loud noises. :)

Hey True Blue, don't say you've gone
Say you've knocked off for a smoko
And you'll be back later on

Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue

Give it to me straight
Face to face
Are you really disappearing,
Just another dying race,
Hey True Blue.

True Blue, is it me and you?
Is it Mum and Dad, is it Steve Irwin too?
Is it standing by your mate
When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

Hey True Blue, can you bear the load?
Will you tie it up with wire,
Just to keep the show on the road?
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue, now be Fair Dinkum

Is your heart still there?
If they sell us out like sponge cake
Do you really care?
Hey True Blue.

When she's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue ... True Blue.

As sung by John Williamson today during the very moving service.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin.

P.S. I personally thought the thread becoming a gun debate was disrespectful towards Steve Irwin, basically because the gun debate had nothing to do with Steve Irwin, and discussing guns in a thread about him I personally found disrespectful. I understand others may not see it that way, but I do.

Yes, I watched the service today on TV with my mother. She was crying at the end of it and I was close to crying myself. That guy that did the singing is great.

Back