• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Save This BBS!

DoctorPepper

Experienced Member
I realize we shouldn't "campaign" to save a BBS, but now that they are officially on the endangered species list, I thought it would be good to try. :)

The BBS I'm talking about is the AbyssBBS, which runs over telnet. Joining is simple and fairly straight-forward. All you need is a connection to the internet and a telnet client. I'm not sure how well the Windows telnet client works on this (I use Linux), but if it doesn't work very well, you can download PuTTY for free, and use it as your telnet client.

What I'd like to see is for as many members as possible to join the board, and then to visit the board at least twice a week. Just check it out, maybe post in one of the rooms.

We already have two members: me and Chuckcmagee. We've been posting messages there for most of the month of September (I've been a member for a couple of years now).

Anyway, if you want to check it out, telnet to: bbs.abyssnode.net then just join by following the on-screen instructions.

Yikes!!!

I tried connecting back to bbs.abyssnode.net, and got a totally different BBS!

The splash screen now identifies itself as Inara BBS, not AbyssBBS.
That leaves one of two options:
1. AbyssBBS is no more
2. Since they are using Dyndns (dynamic DNS), it could be that their IP address got temporarially mapped to Inara BBS.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Could be that they changed the name :) I still have my old BBS and plan to relaunch it soon. There will actually be two parts to it, a modern Forum (like here) and an old school BBS which will be dialup and telnet.

Moreover, I am planning to use my Amiga to host it :)

Definitely would like to see BBS become a viable hobby again, I miss those days.

Could be that they changed the name :)

Could be, but I had to create a new account, too. I'll check back with them later on to see if the old AbyssBBS comes back. If not, I'll just hang out at the Inara BBS! ;-)

Moreover, I am planning to use my Amiga to host it :)

Sweet! Will it be dial-up or telenet?

Definitely would like to see BBS become a viable hobby again, I miss those days.

Yeah, me too, but I'm not holding my breath. It's easier to put your community bulletin board up using something like vBulletin or phpBB or some other pre-built forum software.

Inara is for over 18's, I think I shall behave and give this one a miss.

I decided to have a crack at my own telnet BBS, I did in less than 1/2 an hour. The irony is, I have no idea how to use it. I didn't think it over I suppose. Anyhoo, as of 20 minutes ago it is zippler.ath.cx if you were curious. Don't know where the name came from, I just ran out of ideas for an original name. I'm expecting it to die in a few months anyway, this was just out of curiosity.

Anyone know where I can learn to use one (Links perhaps)? How does it work?

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I didn't think it worth a new one.

THIS IS TOOOOO FUNNY. Looks like the campaign started just a tad late. I get the same thing, no user id setup on that one either.

I was gonna say that the "Save the Abyss" project is/was totally Doc's project. I too loved and hated the bbs days (still cring when I get a busy signal) but the full screen php stuff has spoiled me.

Normal Windows telnet seems to work just fine. I get a typing delay but that is just those packets going up to my internet satellite and back down to the ground.

Well, FWIW, it seems the Inara BBS is much more active than the AbyssBBS was. The only problem is the help menu isn't as comprehensive as the one on Abyss was. The good news is most of the key strokes work the same (ie: "k" will bring up a list of rooms, "j" will allow you to jump to a room, "f" will let you read messages forward in a room, "n" or space will retrieve the next message.

I'll hang out here for a while and see how it shapes up.

Chuckcmagee, you need to create an account on this BBS! :)

Well maybe this is a bit off topic but since we are talking about bbs's, does anyone have a good site where I can find some client side bbs software for the commodore 64 or maybe the atari 800? Thanks.

sweet. telnet BBS'ing!

i think i'll spam my DOS telnet client so you can telnet to vintage BBS's on vintage machines :)

here... download this ZIP. if you want ANSI color, add a DEVICE= line in your config.sys to point to the NANSI.SYS file in that zip.

Attachments

• mctelnet.zip
    58.7 KB · Views: 1
Looks like the Inara bbs doesn't need any help to stay alive. I just paged thru about 40 online users 2 minutes ago. Hyper Terminal does work well. I found it's easier to read WITHOUT the ansi color tho.

Wow, bbs.abyssnode.net (the real one) is back. I see the sysops loan each other their hardware when things die. Abyss was in the abyss while the hardware was on loan.

Wow, bbs.abyssnode.net (the real one) is back. I see the sysops loan each other their hardware when things die. Abyss was in the abyss while the hardware was on loan.

Thanks for pointing this out to me, Chuck. I've been dropping some posts all over the BBS since you told me.

Back