• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Smoking causes global warming?

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Perhaps this should be posted in the 'Politics' forum, or mebbe even 'Rants', but these days, I find it too difficult to discern the difference.

Former VP, AlGore blames global warming on cigarette smoking. He did specify 'cigarette' smoking, so I suppose pipe or cigar smokers, and those who exclusively smoke marijuana, crack, etc. are off the hook. I wonder though, how much do BBQs & Saturday night bonfires (a time-honored local tradition) contribute to global warming, especially those where one or more joints (bhangs, etc) are passed around? Is this a more serious threat than the dreaded cow-phart-scare of the early eighties?

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060928/FON0101/609280574/1985

--T

Last edited:
I think this is misrepresented. Al Gore is smarter than to blame all of global warming on smoking, as you implied here. Smoking would be a small part of it compared to fossil fuel usage and wood burning.

I think this is misrepresented. Al Gore is smarter than to blame all of global warming on smoking, as you implied here. Smoking would be a small part of it compared to fossil fuel usage and wood burning.

Didn't mean to 'misrepresent' or imply anything, just repeating the headline from CNN. What he actually said was that the contribution of smoking is "significant", as if cigarette smoking can be equated with factories belching-out huge clouds of black smoke, giant multi-acre wildfires, volcanos, billions of internal-combustion engines, whatever...

--T

Back