Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32 non-PnP*
Covox Speech Thing or Disney Sound Source*
Gravis Ultrasound/MAX/ACE w/1MB RAM
Roland MPU-401AT*
Roland SCB-55*
Yamaha DB50XG*
Roland MT-32 w/t headphone jack.
Aureal SQ2500#

* - items I already have or just bought.
# - Have a Revision A, want a Revision B
% - Have a Sound Blaster 16 ASP SCSI-2 CT-1770, want a Sound Blaster ASP CT-1740

The video side of the collection is focused on "standard setters." These cards were the first card to implement a major graphics standard. The sound standards encompass many "marginal" devices as well as major ones. The idea here is to expand the universe of sound to its maximum extent. In both cases, I have only selected cards that were used by games (except arguably in the instance of the MDA, and some IBM software could have used that.)

Later I may try for even more marginal cards, which had a gaming vogue, but for now I'd like to stick with the major standards. Can anyone help me complete my collection?

Last edited:
This is all PC based equipment, so I'm going to move the thread.

Are you really having problems finding a Monochrome adapter or a Hercules adapter? I thought that they were relatively common.

According to the key, the asterisk indicates he owns or just bought it, and the items without any marking are those he is looking for: CGA, EGA, Game Blaster, Gravis Ultrasound and so on. Or maybe I misunderstood?

My goof then. But that leaves the CGA adapter on his "to acquire" list, which is hard to understand .. those should be very common.

My goof then. But that leaves the CGA adapter on his "to acquire" list, which is hard to understand .. those should be very common.

Well, I am only interested in IBM's CGA card, no other cards will do. I can get one for $40, but there are other cards higher on the priority scale and my funds are limited. A Hercules-manufactured Hercules card is not so easy to find.

According to the key, the asterisk indicates he owns or just bought it, and the items without any marking are those he is looking for: CGA, EGA, Game Blaster, Gravis Ultrasound and so on. Or maybe I misunderstood?

Yes, those are the ones I am looking for.

Sorry, the only ones I have at my fingertips right now are both brown, and have the Hitachi 6845 chips. I'll look around and see if I can locate a green one for ya.

--T

Actually, I should not have sounded so strict, because I know the CGA more often used a brown PCB and I would gladly take one. My concern is that I have IBM CGA and not a clone. I'm sure the functionality is the same whether the 6845 is from Motorolla or Hitachi, so long as there are the same chips in the same places.

Are green CGA cards older?
I have brown one in my XT, but I'am going to get green one too.

As I see differences are really small.

The green cards may be lacking some passive components I think. This could mean they are older (improvements to the card coming later) or newer (IBM becoming cheap.) Brown seems to be more common.

Let's have a look...

As far as I can tell, there is no difference other than the obvious (even down to the soldered-on jumper wire between u24 & u66). The green board is dated 1981, and the brown one, 1982, FWIW.

--T

Attachments

• PDRM0007.JPG
    PDRM0007.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
gravis ultrasound

gravis ultrasound

If you're still looking for a Gravis Ultrasound, I'd be happy to give one to you. Please let me know via email.

Back