• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dreamcast, any hack value?

ahm

Staff member
Happened to be in a thrift shop today and they had a Dreamcast for $9.99
I might have bought it but there wasn't a power cord (looked non-standard)
or any controllers. I also couldn't think of any cool games that ran on it.
Should I have snagged it?

(I did score a motorcycle battery charger for eight bucks)

Yes the dreamcast has a decent hack value if your into making your own games.Im almost 100% sure you can use it to watch videos off CDs if you make it in the right format.

It could only play VCD's and it really wasn't worth it. It was an OK system, I just liked the other ones better.....

-VK

If you have the right model, you should be able to play bootle-- I mean, "borrowed" games w/o any modding at all. There's also countless homebrews & emulators (of other consoles; SNES, NES, Genesis etc...) available on the interweb for it!

DreamCast is awesome. You can run Linux on it, play SNES games via emulators , and play Doom. There are quite a few stuff out there and homebrew for the DC. It also runs Windows CE.

$10 if it was complete with power cord sounds good. If it lacks important details that may be expensive and difficult to come across to get it running, not so much a good deal anymore.

DreamCast is awesome. You can run Linux on it, play SNES games via emulators , and play Doom. There are quite a few stuff out there and homebrew for the DC. It also runs Windows CE.

where can I find doom for the dc?

Happened to be in a thrift shop today and they had a Dreamcast for $9.99
I might have bought it but there wasn't a power cord (looked non-standard)
or any controllers. I also couldn't think of any cool games that ran on it.
Should I have snagged it?

(I did score a motorcycle battery charger for eight bucks)

you can burn s--- for it, like custom software and emulators and s---. no hacks needed for burned discs.

look at all these emualtors for it http://www.zophar.net/consoles/dreamcast.html

buy it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the language relatively clean. There is no need for gratuitous use of that word. Save it for when it counts.

I like my dreamcast, it was $125 I think new in the box a little while after news of the hack came out. There are plenty of good games for it and also plenty of emulaters also.

The last batch produced was suposed to remove the hack to play burned games (not sure if this was true or not).

Let's keep the language relatively clean. There is no need for gratuitous use of that word. Save it for when it counts.

you're right, sorry. i have a bad habit of cursing alot. believe it or not, compared to my usual language, my posts here are very clean. :oops: - drunken pirates have nothing on me!

i'll watch what i type more closely.

Playing NES on the DreamCast. Emulation works great and fast.
266490580_61e6de5a0a.jpg

266493273_0d8a9218f2.jpg

266492588_ce8e12482d.jpg

Back