• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PX-8 - You Just Won't Believe This!!!

Hmm, think my working one is identical or close to what you were trying. It's a Gateway 600YGR with 1.8 G pent M processor. The VMware Player with RH 7.1 and that vfloppy14.tgz file works perfect.

No - I mean PURE hardware, not a virtual machine.

How slow does a REAL PC need to be, to run this diretly against the hardware?

Tony

Next, I tried the PX8VFS package. First I tried it in XP (no go, I should have known). Then, I tried it in native DOS 5, and this worked somewhat - I could read the disk image, but not write to it. So instead of using my desktop system, I hooked it up to my old Toshiba 486 laptop, and whammo, virtual read/write disk drives!

The above is a direct quote from the other forum. That's about all I know as far a "real hardware". I didn't have anything slow enough to even begin to work.

OK. So maybe with a little bit of luck, a Pentium 200-233MHz will do the trick, and I can also use that to transfer CP/M and CoCo 5.25" images....

Can't use a laptop, though, because I need an ISA slot for the EPROM writer, unless I can find an EPROM writer with an RS-232C port on it.

Tony

The manuals arrived today.

Man - nice condition!

Of course, i think it sucks they yanked the manuals out, and tossed the Basic reference back into the PX-8 box.

Oh well...where else can ya get a NIB PX-8, 120kb RAMDisk, portable Calc/Wordstar, with all manuals, for $120 shipped???

Tony

Ohhh, so you agree with me.... I was pretty sure they were doing that. Pulling the manual to sell separately. I am enjoying my PX-8, that's for sure. My "star trek" basic game is tooo big so far. I run out of main ram before all the source gets read in. No big deal, never liked that game much anyway. I remembered a few DDT commands before I had to google it to find more.

Oh, I *TOTALLY* agree!

When I got the manuals today, the Basic Reference binder was empty.
I was about to get on the phone and call them, when I remembered a basic refernce, ring-bound manual was in the PX-8 box.

That pretty much proved the point.

No matter - where else can you get something like this?
I suppose a $15 manual-tax is semi-acceptable....

Tony

PX-8 Microcassettes

PX-8 Microcassettes

Hi,

I purchased a pack of standard microcassettes from Walmart and they work fine in my PX-8.

I was able to initialize it, save BASIC programs to it and then load the programs back into memory.

It is cool how the PX-8 keeps a directory of the programs on the tape at the beginning.

Derek

px8vfs.doc said:
"Due to problems with the serial port library, the MSDOS version relies on a timing loop for good performance. If the PX-8 can read from the filesystem but not write to it, try running the software on a slower machine."

Guess it never hurts to RTFM, eh? Doesn't say what is the fastest machine it'll work with though.

--T

for the MicroCassettes, there a vendor on ebay (zoocrackers) selling generic
50-packs of 60 min microcassettes for $23+$12 shipping.

I THINK the seller also does like 10 or 12-packs as well.

Tony

Hey - it's a heck of a deal.

It IS truly New-In-Box. $15 is fair, I guess, for the Portable Wordstar, Calc, and Schedule. It's kinda; necessary to have SOME kind of RAMdisk, though, else it takes system RAM to make a RAMdisk.

I just got my RS232-port EPROM burner today, so this weekend I may start playing with burning custom PX-8 EPROMs

Tony

Terry - I thought you had a burner? It isn;t very difficult, and it does not HAVE to be an RS-232 serial EPROM writer.

Biggest problem, is you need space, to make the ROM .HEX file
You have a 120K ramdisk, right? The way PROMFO.COM works, is you run it, enter on each line the .COM files you want to include, and when the list is done, PFOMFO generates a directory listing, and puts it, with converted .COM files into one big .HEX file.

Keep in mind - there's about 30-31K usable space per EPROM for the PX-8, assuming 27256 or 27C256 (32K x 8) units.

email me the games, and I'll use that as an experiment this weekend.

Tony

My burner is presently installed in a PC that went south, and I haven't had time to build up another machine. I just bought the V-40 mobo on eBay, which will be the board I'll build up once it's delivered. I haven't tried making any ROMs for the PX-8, but I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.

--T

Ahhhhhh.....you know what's REALLY needed? To pop a ZIF socket on the PX-8. Yank those crazy carrier-requiring sockets, and you can switch-and-swap all day long with a ZIF socket.

Something like THIS:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=102744

Hmmmmm....I need to get a beater for playing, though. Not this pristine shelf queen!

Anyone got a beater PX-8 they wanna unload?

Tony

Last edited:
Dang - no interest??

You guys MUST have a source for the EPROM carriers, then...

I gotta scare up a beater PX-8 to butcher - anyone got one for me to Frankenstein? Need a test bed to install the low profile ZIF sockets into.

Tony

No, I mostly leave the standard 2 roms in there now. As you already pointed out, toooo clumsy to change very often. I only purchased the WS rom because I loved it back when it was King. I can't really see me writing a book chapter on the PX-8, although I'm sure "one" could do just that. I'm finding the NEC 8201 MUCH easier to read. The PX-8 is hard work to read. You have to get the light to reflect just right and hold it there, barf.

No, I mostly leave the standard 2 roms in there now. As you already pointed out, toooo clumsy to change very often. I only purchased the WS rom because I loved it back when it was King. I can't really see me writing a book chapter on the PX-8, although I'm sure "one" could do just that. I'm finding the NEC 8201 MUCH easier to read. The PX-8 is hard work to read. You have to get the light to reflect just right and hold it there, barf.

Spoken like a person who has never lugged-around a Kaypro or Osborne 1 all day...If ya like CP/M and portable computin', ya can't help but love the Geneva.

--T

Back