• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II Problem. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Dang it!!:mad:
As soon as I can, I will get them put on to shutterfly.
Quick description:
BAD, someone forced the chip into the socket on the daughter board, and one of the pins apparently was not lined up with the hole, and It got bent, badly.
But It didn't break, so there is still hope for the original chip, cause I'm not soldering a new pin on there!

Looks ok now, but still no help. Are you sure of the chip numbers? I can't find anything anywhere on 74LS1615. Looks like ya may be stuck with soldering the pin after all.

--T

Last edited:
Well, I might be able to find another motherboard, and switch out this particular chip.:)
I could just take one from an apple II+, there chips are almost exact.
The chip I'm talking about Is in one of the 74LS1615, D-13, that was removed from the motherboard, along with the other three, and the board (just sockets) was put in there original sockets. The 1615's where then inserted into the board, making It an daughter board. All this was just so It could hook up to the card with a ribbon cable. Apparently In the process of inserting D-13, the 'first pin' was bent, and not repaired.
I don't know who the original owner was, but I might be able to trace the serial # back to the original buyer. I don't know why I would do this, maybe just see who originally owned It. I just don't understand why he didn't fix It.
Edited today:
Here are the REAL pictures:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CZNXLVo5ZsMs
Edited today
Sorry Terry, you where right about the chip's being wrong. And I thought I new what I was doing!! :)

Last edited:
Nice pictures. want to trade? -joke.:D
I noticed the ROM was missing, but I don't know If It was originally sold like this or not. On some other web sites, that particular ROM was missing too, but they never said If there's was working or not. I just don't understand why It worked a couple of times. I would go and take the 74LS161 out, but I don't have the proper tools. Someone else Emailed me, and suggested using dental tools, but I don't know where to get these. One of my manuals says to use an "IC extractor" to take the IC's out, whatever the heck that Is. Plus I don't Know If I can even fix the chip's pin. A needle nosed pare of pliers would probably work though.

using dental tools.
never use metallic tools to pull out chips
use a IC extractor and/or a smal plastic nife to lift the chip out of it's socket
IC extractor : a smal tool, and cheap, you can find this on the www (search)

Plus I don't Know If I can even fix the chip's pin
you have probably other chips from other old not working hardware and remove a pin of such an old chip (destroying the chip)

or buy a replacement (verify exact number with a magnifying glass)

missing ROM-D8 ...

The apple II reference manual (209 pages) at page 89
fig 10 The apple Main Board

ROM-D8 & ROM-D0 are not on the board

so they are not necessary !

Back