• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Data transfer (was: need 5.25 floppy disc drive

Transfer/print

Transfer/print

well, if you have a computer w/ 2 CDR bays, buy an internal 5.25 floppy drive, and buy adapters so you can hook it up to the standard CD cords. But it's my personal opinion it'd be easier to buy a cheap system w/ a 5.25 floppy drive, hook up a printer to it, and print it out. I have a few of those if you need one. I have 3(2 operational) AT&T 6300's with floppy, HD and printer ports.

buy an internal 5.25 floppy drive, and buy adapters so you can hook it up to the standard CD cords.
I've never seen a way to adapt an IDE interface (what a CD typically uses) to a floppy interface. They may exist, but they'd cost you a pretty penny.

If you truly need the information TRANSFERRED you need to have a machine with a 5.25 inch drive installed. Depending on the make of your motherboard, you may be able to install one in your current windows/linux/other machine and just copy the data over.

Do you know what computer was used to create the files you need transferred?

Do you know what computer was used to create the files you need transferred?
Exactly the question I was going to ask. While people most of the time assume IBM PC compatibles, it could just as well be floppies from a TRS-80, Apple II, Commodore, Atari or dozens of other systems, not to mention various operating systems that used their own file systems. As noted in that other thread, a fair deal of those might be possible to read using a "regular" PC floppy disk interface/chipset and special software, far from all are that easy to rescue.

Tom, when you say "printed", I suppose the files are documents of some kind. Again it may be a matter of converting to get them readable in a modern program unless they're plain ASCII text files or something similar. The more you can tell us, the better "support" we can offer you.

Back