Luke

Experienced Member
Here are connectors and swiches:

my.php

Strange connector:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4923/resizeofimg1890nq4.jpg

And some IBM chips and AMI BIOS (?):

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7984/resizeofimg1897oq4.jpg

Is it EGA card? As far as I know EGA looks a bit different.
And what about these two wide connectors?

It's on auction as "Card for industrial computer"...

Last edited:
It looks like an EGA card, but it would be more helpful to see a picture of the entire card.

The 4 position DIP switches and the two RCA jacks are the clue.

So I'am sure, that's IBM EGA card, I've compared it with another card found on goole (sorry for not looking on google first...).
But I've some questions, as I'll be propably owner of that card soon ;).

1. Will I be able to change code page in CGA mode?

2. Why there are 2 jacks?

3. What is purpose of these two wide connectors?

I'm not sure about the quality of the CGA mode emulation. I recall that EGA emulation of CGA modes was good, but not perfect.

The two jacks are unused.

One of the wide connectors is for a memory daughterboard to increase the total amount of memory. I'd have to dig out the tech ref or schematics to figure out what the other one is.

IBM EGA memory daughterboard

IBM EGA memory daughterboard

One of the wide connectors is for a memory daughterboard to increase the total amount of memory. I'd have to dig out the tech ref or schematics to figure out what the other one is.
I'll check out my card.

I seem to recall reading that the other connector is an "EGA feature connector"

Yes, composite connectors are directly going to that wider connector as I read on Usenet.

Happy to trade it for a CGA Card..

If shipping wouldn't be so high why not...

Yes, composite connectors are directly going to that wider connector as I read on Usenet.

If shipping wouldn't be so high why not...

The composite connectors go to the shorter connector closer to the bracket. The longer connecter at the back of the board is for a daughterboard that allows you to add up to 192KB of RAM to the card for its full complement of 256KB. (3 banks of 8 x 4464)

IBM EGA cards are rarer than CGA cards.

Memory daughter board

Memory daughter board

For those curious about the daughter board:

Attachments

• PC060003.JPG
    PC060003.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm not sure about the quality of the CGA mode emulation. I recall that EGA emulation of CGA modes was good, but not perfect.

The two jacks are unused.

the RCA jacks are unused? i've seen them on most, if not all, EGA cards i've ever come across. if they're unused why are they always on the cards? i always figured it was a composite out, but never tried it.

the RCA jacks are unused? i've seen them on most, if not all, EGA cards i've ever come across. if they're unused why are they always on the cards? i always figured it was a composite out, but never tried it.

Not tried it on a an EGA card, but it's definitely composite out on a CGA card. it's paralleled up with the little 3-out-of-4 pin connector nearby that is used on luggables to drive the internal monitor.

It arrived and works fine.

What does it emulate in Monochrome mode?
MSD says that's EGA card when turned to mono mode, but I can't run any CGA graph.

I just happen to have an IBM EGA card in the box and
on the side of the box it says:

"This IBM PC option supports the attachment of
the IBM PC Monochrome display and the IBM PC
Color display , as well as other direct drive monitors.
This option makes possible graphics on the Monochrome
display and enhanced graphics on the Color display"

I think this means that you can display CGA graphics on the
monochrome display and EGA graphics on the color (CGA)
display. Looking in the instructions for the card, you need
to set jumpers/switches on the card accordingly, based on the
type of display you will be attaching. This step is VERY important
as you can damage the card or display if the jumpers/switches are
not set correctly.

It arrived and works fine.

What does it emulate in Monochrome mode?
MSD says that's EGA card when turned to mono mode, but I can't run any CGA graph.

I set it correctly, found settings on Usenet.

I tried to run Alley Cat and it said me, that I need color graphics adapter.
EGA card from IBM gives graphics on mono monitor (I mean 5151 here, some newer monitors could display video from CGA card), but I don't know in what mode.

That's strange, if you can run EGA graphics on CGA monitor, why there were EGA monitors made?

I think he means, it can run software that uses EGA graphics on CGA monitor but in CGA graphics style. Similar to running CGA/graphics on a monochrome monitor with a Hercules card.

Are 8 bit VGA cards rare? I have a paradise one here somewhere.

i don't think they're rare. i have a cirrus logic 8-bit VGA card that i use in my XT, and i know dongfeng has one in one of his XT's.... pretty sure mbbrutman said something about having one also.

Some older games like Alley Cat may be hard coded to check for a 'true'
CGA card. Try some other CGA games and see what happens.

I've never tried this myself, I don't have any 5151 or 5153 displays.
I only have 2 5154's and a 5175.

I set it correctly, found settings on Usenet.

I tried to run Alley Cat and it said me, that I need color graphics adapter.
EGA card from IBM gives graphics on mono monitor (I mean 5151 here, some newer monitors could display video from CGA card), but I don't know in what mode.

That's strange, if you can run EGA graphics on CGA monitor, why there were EGA monitors made?

i don't think they're rare. i have a cirrus logic 8-bit VGA card that i use in my XT, and i know dongfeng has one in one of his XT's.... pretty sure mbbrutman said something about having one also.

Actually, I have two :D The first is a 1MB Trident card which now lives in my 386, and the second is a 256kB card (I forget the make) in my 286. Both are 16 bit cards, the 256kB you have to select 8-bit with switches on the back, the 1MB just seems to magically work. :)

Back