• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is this microPDP-11?

jplr

Experienced Member
Hello,

Someone wants to sell me a microPDP-11 but there is no marking such as 11/53/11/73.
Could it be one of the first microPDP-11 with a LSI-11/KDF11 CPU ?

Thanks!

Jean-Pierre

Attachments

• a7ec6835-a6d0-11ed-a818-ff7ab6243a04.jpeg
    a7ec6835-a6d0-11ed-a818-ff7ab6243a04.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 35
KDF11 is the 11/23 (F11 chipset). According to online documentation this was the least powerful configuration of the MicroPDP-11. An LSI-11 (KEV11 chipset; 11/03) would normally be in a BA11-M. Of course, a previous owner could have "downgraded" the MicroPDP-11 to an LSI-11 CPU. But not, AFAIK, DEC.

Look inside :-}.

I got one of these MicroPDP-11 machines a little while ago as well, turned out to be an 11/23+ (KDF11-B)...

Anyone got a set of the CIS chips they want to sell??? :)

1675807229221.png

-Chris

Thanks all,
@cchhrriiss11, so if there is no indication of the model (apart 'MicroPDP-11'), it's a 11/23?
Best way to tell is to open it up and see what CPU card is in it... there's always a chance it might have been upgraded in the past as well?

When I was researching mine on-line, it seems most of these "unlabelled" machines came as a 11/23 (non-plus) which is a dual-width card (as opposed to the quad-width 11/23+).

-Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,
I have no access to the machine as it is ~900km (~600miles) away and the seller is reluctant to open the it or even to send it by a transporter. He asks prospective buyers to come and have a look.
Jean-Pierre

In that case you assume it is the 'lowest cost machine' of that type for the purpose of pricing and negotiation. If you go and see on that basis, and it turns out to be a more expensive CPU that is fitted, it is a bonus for you...

Dave

Thanks Chris,
I have no access to the machine as it is ~900km (~600miles) away and the seller is reluctant to open the it or even to send it by a transporter. He asks prospective buyers to come and have a look.
Jean-Pierre

I'd be nervous about buying something the seller won't open. It reeks of an empty card cage.

CW

Thanks for all comments :)

If someone is interested it is this sale:
The seller has 13 microPDP: microPDP, microPDP-11/53, microPDP-11/73.
Some may work, but it's not for sure.
I have the impression he might sell each for ~$100.
As he does not want to tell much about their state nor send much photos, I am not sure they are in good condition.
This is probably because he does not know much about what it is, as he previously call them "IBM" which I presume is synonymous for him of "computer".
He wants people to "come and see", whatever that means.
It's in the East part of France, 250km/150 miles from Luxembourg/Stuttgart or Zurich. I am at 900km so it's too far for taking the risk of getting junk.
So if anyone is interested, please spare a chassis/PSU and backplane for me ;-)

Last edited:
I thought that they were not to be found at all now, but while I had the opportunity to buy on eBay, they appeared on sale twice. Once - only a microchip, once - a complete KDF11-B.
And the sale price is $200-300 when they appear! Since it's double-wide (spans two sockets) supporting six dies I guess that's either $100-150 per "chip" or $33-50 per die :-}. But if you really want to run DIBOL fast ...

Attachments

• KDF11-B CIS - Close-up.jpg
    KDF11-B CIS - Close-up.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 11
It is a collection of 'stuff' - much smaller than the stash I gave away last year...

If you 'visit' you never know, you may pickup a bargain. But you could also pickup a lemon.

Dave

I got one of these MicroPDP-11 machines a little while ago as well, turned out to be an 11/23+ (KDF11-B)...

Anyone got a set of the CIS chips they want to sell??? :)

View attachment 1252729

-Chris
I believe I have a pair of them on 11/23+ boards. What would one do with them?

Also if I recall, Cobol81 can compile with the CIS option in the 11/23+, 11/24, or 11/44 systems.

I believe I have a pair of them on 11/23+ boards. What would one do with them?

Also if I recall, Cobol81 can compile with the CIS option in the 11/23+, 11/24, or 11/44 systems.
What would one do with them? Well... in my case, fill empty sockets :)

-Chris

Back