• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 102 black screen.

Leofan7

Hello again. I just got my new Tandy 102 in the mail. The big problem comes when I insert fresh batteries. When I turn it on, all that appears is a dim black screen. I try to adjust the disp knob, but it just make the black screen lighter and darker. Anyone know what's going on?

Maybe batteries in backwards??? Think I had something similar with my M100 when I had the polarity reversed by accident.

I've checked them a thousand times. They're in the right way. I'll try putting them in reverse and see if that works. I have nothing to lose!

Update. I put in some dead batteries, and the low battery light went on, which I guess means that portion is working. Any other ideas?

Hmm, LCD cable is loose inside? Or worse, LCD bias circuits are messed up. They are not hard to take apart and make sure the cables are well seated. And, if the batteries are in there right, I don't think I would flip them around. One other time I got that because my power supply voltage was a tad high. Doesn't sound likely if you are using batteries.

Your internal (3v. lithium) backup battery has gone dead. Leave it plugged in and turned off for a few hours to see if it has the ability to be recharged, else, it'll need replacing. (If it's charging from your AAs, it can drain them). After a while, hit the 'reset' button on the back. Oh yeah, be sure the Backup Power switch on the bottom is set to ON, else it won't charge the internal battery.

--T

That makes sense. Is the memory battery easily replaced? Is it like one of those watch batteries or what? I'll leave those fresh batteries in it overnight, since I don't have an AC adapter. I'll check on it tomorrow morning, and see if it works. Thanks for your help so far.

The internal battery is soldered-in, but a fairly simple swap. You can use nipper to snip off the posts to make the job easier. AFAIK, RadioShack still sells the replacements.

--T

One more thing. Does this mean that all of the built-in programs are wiped out? I think I read this somewhere, but didn't think it was true.

The internal battery is soldered-in, but a fairly simple swap. You can use nipper to snip off the posts to make the job easier. AFAIK, RadioShack still sells the replacements.

--T

I actually did this not too long ago. I didn't get the battery from RadioShack however. I did a Google search on the battery model number (the exact number escapes me now) and I ordered it on-line from Interstate Batteries (http://www.interstatebatteries.com). The specs are 3.6v 60mA. Search for Interstate part NIC2510 and its $4 plus shipping.

You will have to disassemble the 100 and de-solder the battery from the planar and solder this one in its place. All told I think it took me 30 mintues to do and it works fine. I think that Club100 has formal instructions on the procedure because IIRC there's a cable to remove or something like that in order to fully open the unit. Clearly, exercise caution and use standard anti-static procedures.

Alright, good. I don't know here I heard that. I'll just leave it with batteries overnight and see what happens. See you in the morning!

Well, no luck. It still comes up with the black screen. I guess I'll start looking for a battery.

A final update before we put this thread to bed. I ordered a battery from Interstate, replaced it, and I am now a very satisfied Tandy 102 user! Everything is as good as new! Thanks for all of your help. You guys know what you're doing!

Well, some of us know what we are doing. Another thing to remember now, if the thing don't boot up, your internal battery is a goner. I got lucky on all my 100/102 purchases, everyone of the internal cads still work.

Back