• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hazeltine 1410 terminal - local mode?

billdeg

Technician
I don't have a manual (would like one ... any online?). When I first got the terminal it and I tested it, I got garbled characters, etc. I re-seated (re-sat) the two socketed chips. Turned the unit on, now I have a prompt. Is there a way to get a character "echo" so I can test the keyboard? There is no "local" key on the keyboard, but I was thinking that there may be a key combination to get the same effect. If not, no biggie, I will hook up to a computer and test that way.

UPDATE:
Here is a link to the 1420 manual, I guess this will do...
http://www.vt100.net/manx/details/14,6172

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
My favorite cheat is a paper clip. Just bend it into a tight U and connect pins 2 and 3 on the female serial plug. Instant local mode! :)

Bill, now that you have the manual, I guess you just set it for Half Duplex?

Bill, you have to stop posting stuff about terminals! I have "only just" managed to stop from buying a LSI 3A about 4 times now. I don't know where I would put it if I did buy one. I sure love that terminal. I used it to make a living from 1974 to 1979 (doing COBOL programs) and then on my Vector Graphics/1 for a few years. Of course, I'm sorry I gave the S100 system and terminal away now. The Vector was VERY heavy as I recall and I tend to move frequently, which is why it got given away.

I tried half duplex, and I tried the paperclip in the 2 - 3 pin trick. In both cases many characters displayed did not match the keys pressed. uh oh. Clarification, the number keys, the return key, home key, number pad - everything but the letters (qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,./;' etc) displays correctly, only the letters don't display the key matching what was pressed.

The keyboard looks like the original, and I see no obvious modifications made to the wiring/board. Overall the teminal is in good shape. There is a chip with D8748 INtel '76 ... I wonder if this is a custom processor for a specific job. I am out of my element here. I have read the 1420 manual, no troubleshooting info of use.

Last edited:
everything but the letters (qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm,./;' etc) displays correctly, only the letters don't display the key matching what was pressed.

There's probably an electrical problem between the keyboard and the display causing this. It might be obvious with a close visual inspection or a continuity inspection over the keyboard connection.

It could also be a short on the keyboard grid used to figure out which keys are pressed.

Whatever it is I'm sure it's fixable if you can isolate it.

Good luck! :)

I was thinking you might have a failed capacitor or something.
But then you say it's only the letters that don't match the keycaps.
I wonder if it might be a Dvorak layout.

nah...the letters are often a flip / flop of the keys on the top number key row.

For example, if you press the a key, the display shows Shift+1 ( ! ). If you press shift+a, the display shows ( 1 ).

bd

Something's stuck - could be a bit or a bit of junk in the keyboard. I'd pull the whole thing apart and give it a good solid cleaning followed up by a visual inspection.

Back