• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How many WORKING computers do you have?

Parts

Parts

All I have left are old computer parts, I fixed an XT up, gave it away, I fixed a 286 IBM compatible, gave it away, fixed a 386 IBM compatible, gave it away, then I lost track. Old computers are great learning tools for kids, and they are hard to break, and harder to move. I do have an Atwater Kent Model 48 radio with an Atwater Kent E2 speaker, with a homemade breadboard power supply, since it ran on batteries (I'd love to see what the battery looked like), it's a beauty, and works!:geek:

my new system
working
mach speed viper socket 939
amd athlon 64 4000+
2x wdc 80gb hdd
gladiator case from canada computers
ati radeon x1650 pro 512 mb
512 mb generic ram ddr

my old but not antique collection
compaq presario 4540
p1 mmx 233mhz clone
i just got these today for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!:bigparty:

and my handheld is a palm zire 31 only paid 60 bucks brand new 2 years ago at a liquidation store

Holy microchips!!! I didn't realise how many pages this thread had gotten to! I've been finding a few machines that work here and there so here's the new list:

TI 99/4A(no accessories or power supply!!)
Commodore Vic-20
Atari ST520
Atari STFM520(2)
Apple ][c(no accessories or power suply!!)
Toshiba 460CDT,
Toshiba 100CS,
Toshiba T-1200
Tandy M600
Epson HX-20(TOO MUCH FUN!!!)
***Games***
Atari Touch Me
Mattel Electronics Computer Gin
Atari Flashback 2(not *exactly* vintage)
Atari 7800 ProSystem(broken power connector :( )

What a year! I went from three to all these! last post on this thread was Jan 20 for me.

My Complete List As of the New Additionals

IBM PC 5160 in a Clone Chassis
GEM 286/12 Hot-Rod (with Vid on Youtube now)
IBM PS/2 9556 486 SLC2 w/ OS/2 2.1 installed
CAT Computers 486 DX4/100
IBM Thinkpad 755CD
IBM Thinkpad I-Series 1400
GEM PIII Hot-Rod 386 Cased machine
Apple Macintosh SE FDHD
Apple Power Macintosh 6400

Is that the one that actually looks like a 1/2 scale 2600?

That's the one! Just so it's known all over, Atari's working on two more models, the Flashback2 Portable, and the Flashback3. The FB2 was a hit and generated so many ideas I guess that Atari couldn't NOT make another model (plus they sell like hotcakes). So while it isn't vintage it's certainly retro.

Don't forget that the Flashback 1 was dismissed as cheap garbage. The second version showed that the interest and customers are there, only if it is done correctly. More companies, in particular those in the low-end gaming market, should study this as an example how one and the same concept can be received in widely ways different depending on how much work you spend onto the product.

Don't forget that the Flashback 1 was dismissed as cheap garbage. The second version showed that the interest and customers are there, only if it is done correctly. More companies, in particular those in the low-end gaming market, should study this as an example how one and the same concept can be received in widely ways different depending on how much work you spend onto the product.

According to Curt, he headed both projects but was sandbagged on the first one by the bigwigs about price. Then we got what we got, which was not well received, as you said. The FB2 was made with a little cost cutting but was done really well, and everybody got to see how Atari could flex its muscles when it wanted to. NOW if they'll listen to Curt they'll have more A-grade products and a better reputation as a company. At least with the retro scene. Modern gamers are extremely hard to please.

Nathan

My collection consists of 3 working computers, as well as severel non-working ones. the working ones are:

My custom: posting on it right now, the best of the computers in my house specs at the link provided.

Game Server: AMD Athlon(slot type) 700mhz,384mb of ram, runs Source Dedicated Server Perfect

File Server: Intel Pentium 3, 500mhz, 256mb of ram

http://www.xfire.com/profile/m4nsl4y3r/

According to Curt, he headed both projects but was sandbagged on the first one by the bigwigs about price. Then we got what we got, which was not well received, as you said. The FB2 was made with a little cost cutting but was done really well, and everybody got to see how Atari could flex its muscles when it wanted to. NOW if they'll listen to Curt they'll have more A-grade products and a better reputation as a company. At least with the retro scene. Modern gamers are extremely hard to please.

Yeah i wanted a FB2 but didn't have the $$ and now they're hard to find. Another cool retro machine I've seen is the NES/Famicom clone thats popping up at the gaming shops. Does anyone know how good they are? I've been holding off on getting one until I get an opinion from someone OTHER than a "Sony-Lapdog" Gameshop Employee or a "I'll sell you anything and make it sound great" Gameshop Employee.

Hehe, I still have not picked up a Flackback 2, though I liked what I saw.

What I'd love to see is Atari make a reissue of the Heavy Sixer, as in a REAL heavy sixer, except install some games in it rather than a pack-in cart, that would be really cool.

Hehe, I still have not picked up a Flackback 2, though I liked what I saw.

What I'd love to see is Atari make a reissue of the Heavy Sixer, as in a REAL heavy sixer, except install some games in it rather than a pack-in cart, that would be really cool.

A lot of people share your opinion, but there's a rationale behind it that I didn't want to hunt through 12+ forum pages to find :p Somebody here said that they're a chatty bunch over at atariage and it's no lie.

I'm eagerly waiting the FB2 portable! Curt has said that it's down to weeks, and that was last week, so the clock is ticking.

Centipede is my favorite game on it. Yar's Revenge is pretty good, too. And the joysticks are phenomenal. Looks just like the originals but they're tougher.

just added a new system to the list.

An IBM PS/1 Advisor

stock configuration: 486sx-25, 4 mb ram.
new configuration: Intel ODP , 40 mb ram.
other specs: Windows 3.1, 170 mb hd, 4x CD-Rom, SB-16 sound card

custom= p3 733 512ram 50gb total hdd space winme (using it at the moment)

custom= p4 2.8ghz will run at 3.5ghz(mommy i'm scared) 1gb ram 80gb hdd winxp

dell dimension 8400= p4 3.0 512 ram 150gb hdd winxp

hp w/out most of case= celeron 766 256mb ram 40gb hdd winxp

ibm netvista= 1.1ghz celeron 128mb ram 40gb hdd win2k/ubuntu linux

:confused: toshiba t2200sx= unknown 80386 2mb ram no hdd no os (see my post on it)

Last edited:
collection

collection

I moved to Switzerland 2 years ago. I work here as an Electrical engineer. Switzerland is a good haven for collectors. Swiss always want the latest, they throw old stuff and they dont have it repaired because t he labor cost is higher that the cost of the hardware. Ever since my colleague shown me the bin where they throw the "old" stuff, so far I collected and bring to working condition the following:

1. Pentium 3 600 MHz 512MB compaq for - my 2nd daughter
2. Pentium 3 866 Mhz 512MB HP - for my youngest daugter
3. Pentium 4 1.6 GHz 512 MB Generic - for my eldest daugter
4. Pentuim 4 1.2 GHz 512 MB Generic - for multimedia, also connected to a infocus beamer that I took from the bin and repaired
5. Duron 800 MHz 512 MB - spare , This was th eonly PC that I brought from the Philippines
6. Toshiba Tecra 9000 - my wife's , i bought it from the company for $200
7. Toshiba Tecra 9000 - for me,
8. Pentium 3 866 MHz- for visitor
9. Pentium 4 3GHz, 512MB - This one I built from an old compaq case that a friend gave me. This is the only PC that I bought everything new. I used this to convert videos and store pictures
10. IBM x23 pentium 3, 866 - for downloading- This was thrown because the password was forgotten.

All of the above PC's are connected to the internet by wireless and normal cable. I have 3000 kbs cable connection in the house.

Other collection that are not connected to the network but are all restored and working,
11. Compaq LTE 4/75
12. compac armada pentium 200 MMX
13. Toshiba Tecra 8000, pentium 2 - 300
14. Toshiba Pentium 133

I have also at least 5 working Pentium 2, CELERON and AMD motherboards, video cards, and memories (some are een 256 MB)

Most of the times the people here will remove the harddisk, batery and RAM of laptops before they throw the unit . The challenge is to look for the special harddisk connectors and to install an OS.

Some PC's have very minor problems like the dead CMOS battery or loose coonection, but if they will have it repaired they would pay at least $200 for the labor (minimum)

I'm an accidental collector. I don't consciously collect pc's but if I can't sell it, then I keep it, although I did throw one pc away once. I think it was because I was in a mad fit about moving to a new house. Lately the ones I kept I'm upgrading and trying to rehabilitate as useful computer citizens in the home network.

Computers I've sold, but now with regrets: Apple //e with every imaginable option, software, and magazines. Panasonic Sr. Partner lugable that came new with 512K ram and a 10MB hdd. (which was pretty top shelf back then) and had a nifty OEM black carrying case with pockets for disks etc.

Computers I still have, all working:

Custom 386 @20mhz, 2MB RAM, DOS 3.30 dual booting with PC-MOS-25user on a 60MB hdd. Includes 1 Link PCTerm, 8 RS232 port expander, amber monochrome console monitor. 1.2MB and 360K floppy drives.

Gateway 2000 486 @ 66mhz, 16MB RAM (soon upgrading to 80MB), 1GB hdd, Windows 95 (the upgrade, OSR-1) 17" SVGA Monitor, Gateway 2000 stereo speakers, and CD player. Upgraded with slave 5.25" floppy to standard 3.5" floppy drive, (Just restored sound system yesterday-- was missing --canibalized for another pc)

Custom Pentium III @ 450mhz, 380MB RAM (upgraded from 128MB), 8GB hdd, upgraded with slave 132GB Seagate ATA (with overlay software) Windows 98 SE. CD drive/player, 19" 1024X768 color monitor, Sound system (SoundBlaster from old Gateway above), 3.5 floppy drive, D-Link NIC and on home network

Gateway 500S Pentium IV @ 2ghz, 1GB RAM (upgraded from 512MB), 60GB hdd, upgraded with slave 200GB Seagate ATA, CD R/W and upgraded with slave DVD player, Windows XP Pro SP-2, Upgraded with custom panel to add a reset button and hdd activity light (which are oddly absent from this series of Gateway) 15" flat panel LCD Gateway monitor. Boston Acoustics 3 speaker sound system with microphone and woofer, 3.5 floppy drive, Intel Pro NIC and on home network (this system is used daily in business for going on 5 yrs. now.)

Custom @ 1.86ghz, Core 2 duo, 2GB RAM, 300GB hdd, DVD player and DVD R/W drives, Windows XP home edition. 21" Flat panel LCD Wide screen monitor. Linksys wireless NIC and on home network. (This is the spousal unit's game/email computer)

Scheduled upgrades:
Upgrading 386 machine with EGA and color monitor
Finding and installing a CD-ROM/Soundcard patch cable in the Gateway 2000.
Upgrading the Gateway 2000 with a NIC card and connecting to home network.

They Keep On Moving...

They Keep On Moving...

I still have some of the computers from my first post, but others have been acquired, disposed of and sold.

Macs:
- Quadra 605 (MacOS 8.1 I think - haven't used it in a while)

- 9600/300 256MB/4.1GB/MacOS 9.1

- Beige G3/266 MT 256MB/3.2GB/MacOS 8.6 - This is used to expand Shrinkwrap files and to play old Mac games.

- Blue/White G3/400 640MB/40GB/MacOS X 10.4.9. I use this one nearly as much as my PCs.

PCs:
- HP Pavilion in a generic ATX case 128MB/6.4GB/Win98 - too cheap to buy a new power supply for the microscopic case it was originally in :)

- Duron 900 256MB/6.4GB/Win2k - generic tinkering box. Had some flaky hardware which has been finally excised.

- Athlon 1000 640MB/160GB/Mint Linux - generic tinkering/graphics computer

- Athlon XP 1800+ 1GB/80GB/Ubuntu 6.10 - used for running VMWare images and hopefully PHP development once I learn more about it. Some FPS games on it too.

- Athlon64 3700 1GB/250GB+80GB/WinXP Home - used for gaming, video recording and editing and other miscellaneous stuff

- NEC Versa 2780MT P233MMX 96MB/2.1GB/Win98 - very nice older laptop with a working battery and an active matrix LCD panel. Surplus from the NC Department of Corrections. Currently it's used for light web surfing and DOS games. Finally got a power supply that doesn't look like it was jury-rigged. :)

- Compaq Presario 1625 AMD K6-266 64MB/6.4GB/Win98 - An OK laptop capable of running light versions of Linux. Acts weird trying to install Win2k. The battery sometimes works OK.

- CTX EzBook 700 P200MMX 16MB/2GB/Win95 - Generic tinkerputer. No extra memory available to stuff in it, cracked case but is working.

I also have a couple of ATX boards with K6-2 500mhz processors and one with a P3-450. There's also some ATX cases to put them in but I haven't had the chance to do so.

Back