• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Broken Apple IIe key

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
Crud, the Delete key on the IIe I just purchased managed to get broken off during shipment. I have tried "in place" super glue, bad idea! Are there tricks I should know before taking it apart? Or should I just go looking for a keyboard replacement?

Self-fulfilling prophecy?... ;)

Do you have an INSERT key?...

Really, I'm not trying to have fun with your misery & will try to be a bit more constructive now (even looking over the IIe parts I have)...

I am really bummed out that the key got broke off. Keyboard was perfect when it got shipped. Turns out the "stub" still works, after a fashion. I might just wing it and leave it like it is. The whole thing cost $21.00 plus shipping so really kind of stupid to blow big bucks on a replacement keyboard. Only problem I have is the hole in the keys sure bothers me.

P.S. When you get large quantities of superglue all over your fingers, LET IT DRY FIRST before moving :cool: I did manage to do that. Having fun peeling glue chunks off my hands today.

Next to imploded monitors, busted keys are my biggest pet peeve when someone ships something to me. If I get really lucky, they're just popped off, but often the damage is more severe. It usually happens when someone stacks other items on top of the keyboard without padding. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Chuck, I think I can hook you up with a keyboard. Is it a IIe or IIe Platinum with numeric keypad? Or do you just need the key? I can do that too.

Last edited:
I still have the key cap. The key plunger or stem (the part that actually goes up and down) was broken in half. Remember "bakelite"? Stem seems to be that kind of material. Anyway, I purchased a IIe "junker" with a good keyboard. Just going to use that for parts. I still haven't figured out what to use the "delete" key for anyway... On the command line, doesn't seem to do what you would expect, I have to use "ctrl h" instead. Beginning to appear as if it is not a big deal other than it makes computer look bad. I hate having missing keys.

Well, if we are giving keyswitches away, I could sure use one for an Apple II+ keyboard. The right-shift keyswitch plunger is snapped in half, but I have the keycap, I just can't find the right key among my Apple II keyboards and I don't have another encoder type keyboard, good or scrap.

Back