• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: IBM 5160 XT Motherboard

Seriously, nobody has a spare IBM XT motherboard to sell me?

A 64-256KB or 640KB motherboard would be fine, just as long as it's the 8-slot board from a 5160. I currently have System Board P/N 1503335.

This is for an XT I bought a few weeks ago to save from rotting in a Flea Market and a clock battery board leaked ALL OVER the inside of the system, rendering the first 3 ISA sockets dead from the traces on the board rotting under the sockets. I have them working again after some patch work, but I'd rather have a decent board in it is possible.

Please, if anyone has a spare they're willing to part with for a reasonable price, let me know. P/M, email, or simply reply to this thread.

Kind regards

BTW: Here's the poor repaired board. You can see why I'd rather not rely on it. :)

xt-repaired.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, nobody has a spare IBM XT motherboard to sell me?

A 64-256KB or 640KB motherboard would be fine, just as long as it's the 8-slot board from a 5160. I currently have System Board P/N 1503335.

eBay? Most I have here are already in cases, and with the Portable & 3270 PC using the same motherboard they are a little of a comodity for me. Especially when accidents like you had happen there can come along.

This system was in really poor shape when I got it. Not only did the Ni-Cad clock battery leak all over it, there were mud wasp and spider nests all over the insides. They guy at the flea market assured me it worked when it got it and he kept it indoors, but the ST-225 that was in it made a horrible screaching sound--so since it was shot I popped the lid and I saw it had standing water in it at some point.

The motherboard looked terrible, but after lots of careful scrubbing in warm soapy water, distilled water rinse, and baking dry at 200F it looks pretty good except for the battery damage which is actually almost unnoticeable. The broken connections are all directly under the 3rd ISA socket on the component side and pretty much impossible to fix properly. I can't see the damage without removing the sockets, so I just jumped the broken connections from underneath.

To make matters worse, when troubleshooting the dead ISA sockets my probe slipped and jumped +12 to D0 and completely killed the board. Luckily I found schematics and traced the problem back to three fried Octal Bus Transceivers and I was able to repair it easily enough.

I've been looking on ebay for a few days and don't see much. One guy has (had) a pair but I think he was asking $50 for one with out ram....too rich for my blood for such an old system.

This is just a time wasting project to keep my busy...nothing important. Unless anyone here turns up with a cheap spare, I'll just stick with my patched up board. It works 100% now, it just looks nasty when the motherboard is out and flipped over. :rolleyes:

I actually have another 5160 in nice clean condition with a factory 640K motherboard and a Breakthru 286 12MHz accelerator board. It has a pair of RLL'ed Miniscribe 60 meg drives as well. I also have a 5150 (still restoring) and 2 XT clones including a sweet Mitsuba NEC V20 system with AST SixPak Premium adding 2 megs of Expanded memory. All of them have VGA too. :cool:

That looks like a great repair job ! If the board works, use it.

And in the meantime keep an eye on eBay, a board will show up
eventually. I bought a box of motherboards from eBay awhile back,
they were so dirty I think they must have been stored on the shelf
under the guys table saw. Used a toothbrush and water to clean them
up and it was amazing, they look like brand new and work great.

Back