• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

no usb

Bodyag

Banned
I reformated my hard drive,now my computer don't see my USB ports,why?, How to fix ?.Using windows xp.

I'm sorry, but 'support' here means 'support for problems with the forum', not general hardware support. I'm going to move this to 'General, Off-Topic'.

Also, this is a 'vintage' computer forum. You will do better looking elsewhere for help. And your signature makes it look like you are here to sell something, so I would advise you to alter it before you get removed for spamming.

reformating the hard drive can really mess things up. if you arent careful.

you will most likely have to get the computer to relearn that the driver is there. Haven't got a clue on how you would do that though...

mbbrutman wrote:

I'm sorry, but 'support' here means 'support for problems with the forum', not general hardware support. I'm going to move this to 'General, Off-Topic'.

Also, this is a 'vintage' computer forum. You will do better looking elsewhere for help. And your signature makes it look like you are here to sell something, so I would advise you to alter it before you get removed for spamming.

Ah sucks, if anyone said that 10 years qualifies for vintage then sadily this post is a little early (perhaps a little over a year from now it be relevant) to be discussing Windows 98. That was when USB became supported - I would have just naturally thought that once you installed Win98 the USB ports light up like Christmas Trees.

Of course my old Pentium has them (a few months from now it'll be 10 years old) in the back (about two of them) though with Win95 being the primary OS they just sit there gatherning dust! ;-)

Anyway, I don't believe in that 10 year rule hype - this forum deals in Oddball systems. Win95 onwards isn't exactly oddball, though Win3.x which dates back to 1990 was quite popular too, you'll need to find a forum which deals or supports the use of those systems, or try Google Groups just type in Win98 there's groups like microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion or microsoft.public.win98.setup which have plenty of subscribers, if your using Win98 perhaps someone there will know better.

CP/M User.

Usually your motherboard came with one or more CD's with special drivers for the integrated peripherals, of which USB ports and network are common. I believe in some cases Windows XP may already come with a matching driver, but otherwise it is just a matter in inserting the correct disc. If you don't have a such CD, you can download a program such as CPU-Z that will tell you most what you need to know about your motherboard, CPU and memory settings. From there, you would locate your motherboard manufacturer and go on a hunt for drivers.

Regarding the other matter, I'm sure any serious user will clean up his or her signature from offending contents upon warning from the moderation team. We'll see if this is the case or not.

It's not quite Win95 though!

Has anyone tried using an USB drive with DOS? Aparantely there's been some development made so you can plug in an USB drive - last I heard it was in the testing (Beta) stages, that was nearly 12 months ago.

CP/M User.

I dunno, everything I've got running 95b is too old to have USB ports, so I've never tried it. I just know that my CD has big bold lettering on it claiming USB support.

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

I dunno, everything I've got running 95b is too old to have USB ports, so I've never tried it. I just know that my CD has big bold lettering on it claiming USB support.

Fair enough!

Back