• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

atari 800 queries

Retromaster

Experienced Member
OK, im planning on getting an 800 soon, and I need to know more details.(also because im a n00b)

1) what operating sytem can it run? (if it can..)

2)how fast is its processor?

3) how much memory can it hold?

4) what are some good games for it?

5)can you hook up 2600 joysticks to it?

6)can it play 2600 games? (prolly not)

7)how much do they cost regularily on ebay?

thankyou.

FIANALLY someone answers this.

ive yet to experience one.

are its graphics any good?

EDIT: nathan allen-
1153831002884.jpg

Even if it is the much more common 800XL, I think $20 for a boxed one is a really sweet deal. If that was a BuyItNow price, in my opinion you should grab it. If it was a starting bid for an ongoing auction, still decent although you can't be certain what it would end at.

Ah. That sounds more like the going rate, perhaps a bit on the high side?

I found it very simple to open an eBay account, although I haven't bought or sold a single item yet. I even have a PayPal account (which may not be required in combination with eBay, but seems to help) that I've used sporadically, gritting my teeth every time.

Don't pose rhetorical questions like that here. If you need an eBay account go get one, but that is a private matter and not for discussion here.

Getting away from eBay...

You can get an 800 somethingorother from vintagecomputer.com, they have some in boxes, not sure if they're new or not, for less than $80. 40-something I think. The thing is you have to call them on the phone and send thema money order or something. Since i have one already it's not for me (unless mine tests bad). But you may be interested since you're kind of restrained as far as online buying.

PM somebody about working on ebay, or just go over and read the terms of service and the rules. He's right, that kind of question can be found out on your own. Not to be mean or anything.

Nathan

yeah, one can say im a n00b.

all I really know is old gamesystems. I'm gonna get started with the 800. take it apart, check it out, the whole 9 yards...

I see that you can hook up 2600 joysticks to it?
in atarimuseum.

Yes, joysticks are compatible - it is often referred to as Atari standard and fits most, but not all home computers and some early video games from that era. Paddles, trackballs, drawing boards and other more advanced items may not be as cross compatible between different systems.

No, the Atari 2600 and the computer line are not compatible. I believe the 5200 is software semi-compatible, in the meaning a programmer could easily port a game written for the computer to the video game. On the other hand, the 5200 is not 2600 compatible, which was solved with the 7800 if I understood correctly.

Back