• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS telnet BBS software

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i've started working on some software for running multinode telnet BBS on old machines, not sure when it will get done since i work 5 days a week. just wanted to let you guys know about the project though.

mbbrutman, if you read this... any progress on the one you were planning to make?

I actually did do a little work!

I found during my testing in late December that my reset segment processing was kind of dorked. It's tricky code, so it took me a few hours to get my head around what I need to do (and what I was doing wrong).

For the next phase I'm going to add a few more features to the test server:

• Userid and password: (it will accept anything)
  • Telnet protocol support: (It is only doing raw characters now)
  • Line editing
  • A few extra commands to kill the time

The point of the test server is just to have something that can test multiple simultaneous socket connections, which tests the TCP code. The test server really isn't interesting by itself.

can't wait to see your final results. sounds like you're taking the time to make sure every part of it works right. :D

so far mine well let you connect, and it will send you a log on welcome file such as a custom ANSI graphic or whatever you might want. it'll take you to a login prompt after that. the next thing i need to do is create a new user registration routine. i am planning to eventually add an IRC-style multi user chat interface.

digging up old threads, ftw. mike b, do you know of any way we could get old BBS door programs to have their output redirected to/from a TCP connection?

this is the only thing keeping me from writing a full-fledged multi-node BBS app. the only thing i can really think of is connecting the DOS machine running the program to a more modern computer via null modem cable and writing a little prog for windows to forward data back and forth... but, that's not exactly the most ideal solution.

i'd much rather have it all handled on the DOS machine.

I don't know enough about how BBS Door programs were implemented.

Back