• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hyundai goodies

Vlad

I just got a Hyundai Super-286C and a Hyundai PCterminal. I haven't got anything to hook to the terminal yet, its talking BNC and a port I haven't seen before, but turns on to a Novell Netware boot ROM.

The Super-286C is quite the nice machine. Case is worn, but the inside is clean. RAM card added to bring total memory to 1024k, Monochrome Video, Winchester Disk (ST-251) and a 5.25 floppy drive of unknown capacity at the moment. 10Mhz 286. From where I got them and judging by the condition of the case, I was surprised both worked with out issue.

So, if the Terminal is talking about Netware, do I have to have Netware or can I use it to connect to something else? Sorry if thats s stupid question, I've never messed with a dumb terminal or Novell Netware before.

-VK

I don't know much about the Hyundai PCterminal. I doubt it's a dumb terminal. It is more likely that it doesn't have a disk and that it has a network card that has a boot ROM to boot over the network using a Netware server.

If you can find the network card, remove it and see how it behaves.

There ins't a card to remove. Its built into the motherboard. I didn't see it before but it does have a place for a drive, its just missing. Actually there are no cards at all, just a place for a floppy drive. Since it just had Network ports and a serial port, and said terminal, I just assumed it was a dumb terminal with some kind of special boot ROM. It does have some 8-bit ISA slots, but from the looks of it, nothing has ever been there. I just turned it on and it could care less about anything BUT booting from a network. I'll boot it again and find out what the BIOS said at boot up.

As soon as I turn it on, it says Patterson Labs Basic I/O System

Novell Boot Code Hyundai PCterminal version

Then it goes to another screen that says Novell Netware Remote Reset ROM

LAN mode: Novell Ethernet (NE1000/ATterminal/PCterminal)

Then it pauses and I assume waits for a responce form something. No BIOS options or anything. It just goes though that sequence at power on.

Both that terminal and computer look alike and were made about the same time, think the terminal belongs to the computer?

Upon closer inspection of the chips, it looks like it has a Siemens 8088. It has a chip with a label that says PC Term . BIOS 2.00Pc/6.63 and a thing that looks like a Dallas clock module that says Reliability 2VP95U9 LAN PAC. There are other socketed chips that are covered by the internal chassis. I can provide pics if interested.

The actual computer is unrelated. After I fought with it for a while, it booted to MS-DOS 5.00 and had some basic office stuff. I then made it mad by giving it BASH commands out of habit....

Hard to tell from the pic, but if that's a 15-pin connector, it's prolly AUI for the network. Adaptors to RJ-45 are (were?) available (or just jack-in with coax).

--T

You could try installing a hdd & board and see if it boots. With any luck, the BIOS will look for local drives before looking at the net. (You may have to monkey with some switches/jumpers).

--T

It does have a bank of DIP switches inside, but I don't know their settings. I might try to get it to talk to something via network before trying to get it to boot off a disk of some sort.

Back