• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My family of computers

I have 3 color computer 2s, I coco3, 2 5.25" diskdrives and a load of still good disks to go with them, a newer tape drive that still fits and the cord to go with it, an old heat printer with plenty of paper, A mac SE with key board and mouse, atari (not sure which one) from 1982 [lost all the cartrages], and a couple of computers from the first pentium days. Most of it is stuff that people were getting rid off and I feel that that is like getting rid of a grandparent even if they have little functionality left, they still have lots of ancient wisdom to pass down. I couldn't even let go off an intel 4004 if I had one. BTW anyone selling those?

Neat collection! Are you a collector or tinkerer? I'm a tinkerer. Have you ever tried to hook all the coco's up in a network of some kind? That's what I like to look into the most, hooking things up, making them talk. I hear that your Mac SE can be made into a webserver, read that somewhere.

Isn't this stuff great???

Nathan

The SE/30 can be made into a fairly respectable server. However since even the humble old Mac Plus has even been made a web server i see no reason a regular SE can't.

I am

I am

a tinkerer. I do plan to network all my cocos and plan to use an old 200 pound server with 4 pentium IIs w/ 1 gig of ram and 18 gigs of 80pin SCSI HDmem. I also have a fairly new computer in which might be useful with its athlon 64. I will look into the MAC SE being a server since they all had a lot of power for their days. I also like to collect and tinker with microcontrollers. I used to have an old server form the early '80s with a single 8" disk drive when I was a small child. My step dad had to lift it for me. When we moved I was forced to leave it behind and it eventually rusted over, but I still have the whacky keyboard that went with it.
<br></br>
Instead of F1-F12 it had command 1-20something and has all kinds of special hot keys on it. instead of a return key it says 'exit field' but still has the arrow on it. I plan to use it for some mad sci. lol

I also used to have a tandy 1000 before it wore out, but I still have the expansion card that I pulled out of the mother board that looks wider than even some SCSI.

Right now I am trying to repare a damaged 512K expansion board for my coco3 before I can network them. It looks half hand made. Any have any schematics on those or at least the pinouts of the two rows of sockets that exist on the coco3? I would really apreciate that.

computer.JPG

Oh yeah, I am the nerdiest of the nerdy.

I just added 2 new computers to my collection this weekend

I just added 2 new computers to my collection this weekend

I bought a pentium 2 (that's practically from Noah's time) for $9.05 and someone gave me a computer with a 45MHz processor. It still has one of the old power supplied that you could plug a screen it. It started yelling at me.

45 MHz sounds like an usual number. Odd overclocking? I suppose you mean the power supply has a power-through so you can power your screen from only one wall outlet. I think you still can get modern power supplies with this feature, perhaps a little depending how much effect the computer itself draws.

45 MHz sounds like an usual number. Odd overclocking? I suppose you mean the power supply has a power-through so you can power your screen from only one wall outlet. I think you still can get modern power supplies with this feature, perhaps a little depending how much effect the computer itself draws.

I just bought a brand new 680watt power supply with that feature.

Back