• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BBC Computer Sound

Jacob Ashcroft

Hi, I have a BBC Computer Model B and I'd like to know how to get sound out
of it. I couldn't find that information on the net. I know it uses the SN76489
sound chip. Can anyone help?

I'm so sorry, I didn't make that clear :) I mean actually get the sound out of the BBC and onto my Mac (for example), actually wire it up and get the sound out - what cables do I need, where do I connect them etc...

It depends, if you want the sound as in the audio data from your programs, then figure out a way to make a 5 or 7 oun DIN plug to a 3.5mm jack to your PC sound card. If you want the sound played through the speaker, then traces the red and black wires back to the board and wire a lead with a 3.5mm jack on the end and then plug that into your mac/pc sound cards mic socket and then record with whatever software.

It should work in theory, I don't know. I just wired a pot to the speaker on my beeb to increase/decrease volume. I thought it was logarithmic, it wasn't, so I just have a pretty on/off knob :mad:

I'm trying to work out which is the sound out. There's a 5-pin DIN connection labelled RS423 at the back, there's also something called UHF Out, is it any of these?

What sound are you trying to capture?

In-game music/effects etc. or actual audio data? They are different.

The beeb doesn't have a sound out port. It does have a cassette port, a DIN plug on the back marked 'cassette'. This is where all the screeching from programs on tapes goes in and out of the computer.

If you want the sounds out of the BBC's speaker then you need to modify the beeb.

Please clarify what you want to do. If you want some beeb music then there is a small archive of sounds at stairwaytohell.com

What I was wanting is the actual sounds you hear on the BBC, by typing 'SOUND 1,-15,30,30' for example. The actual sounds, not the audio data. How do I get that out?

I don't think I can help you, you could just use a standard PC microphone near the speaker, and use a freeware audio editing program such as audacity to filter out the noise. You could try what I mentioned previously, tracing the two wire from the speaker back to it's plug on the motherboad. Unplug the speaker, and wire a lead with a 3.5mm on the end to the two terminals, and plug that into the mic socket of your PC. However, unless properly sheilded you are likely to get poor quality audio.

Another option is to use find a BBC emulator for use on your mac or PC, and use software to record whatever goes through your speaker.

Unplug the speaker, and wire a lead with a 3.5mm on the end to the two terminals, and plug that into the mic socket of your PC.

Be careful. Audio levels sufficient to drive a speaker will almost certainly be much too high for a mic input without some sort of attenuation.

Andy

and Beeb & co, I thought so.... there is a position for a 10K variable resistor, I don't know whether it is fitted, but VR1 somewhere between ic 17 and ic 19 is a volume control. It may just be a wire link, in which case the wire link can be removed, and a 10 k (preferably log) pot can be put in with one end to and the wiper where the wire link was, and the other end to the nearby ground connection (the pads for the pot will be in either a line or triangle, top end - wiper - bottom end )

The signal at the top end of this pot (output of ic 17) should give a decent output (fairly line-levelish) for recording

Doh! stupid nige,

from exactly that point comes a couple of tracks going to .... PL16

which apparently is on the bottom left edge of the printed circuit board.

Which is the problem of only being able to see a bit of the schematic bitmap at any one time!

Back