• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fun, funner, funnest...

It inspired me to do some research. In Swedish, the word is rolig (roligare, roligast), which according to the word book definitely is an adjective derived from the noun ro (peace, calm). In Norwegian, rolig still means peaceful, but in modern Swedish it would be a bit odd use. The etymology seems to be that something amusing will make you relax and peaceful.

By the way, I know one occassion when vintage computers not are more fun than most recent one you can buy in the supermarket. That is when your old friend breaks down with an undiagnosed error, and you don't have the hardware skills enough to analyse what to do. Off to the 'Bay we go to buy another, overpriced unit if we already don't have a spare of the particular vintage computer.

Been contemplating exactly that whilst attempting to sledge-hammer the nuclear-proof garden pond into handy bite-sized chunks.

yep, funny is an adjective, so you can say funny funnier, funniest, like Yellow, yellower and yellowest,

fun is still mostly a noun. You can have fun, more fun, or the most fun, but you can't have funny.

But I agree with the article, it's definitely in flux, probably moving to fill the gap of things that are fun, but not funny.

"Funny" as in "humorous" is irrelevant to my comments. I only meant "funner" as in "more fun than new computers." Saying vintage computers are "funny" as in "comprised of fun" is also true, but it's my style to say the simplest possible word, so I wouldn't say "funny" -- I'd just say "fun" -- though I should have said "more fun" in the first place. Everyone clear now? :)

Regarding funny.. Did anyone ever encounter a computer that made you laugh only by looking at it? Or perhaps the first time you open it up and marvel at the insides.

Back