• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New and need help with OS for pent 266 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

devrasmama

I bought an old pc (pent 266, running windows xp pro). There is no memory barely left, I bought more, didnt help. So, I want to just wipe out my entire system and start fresh. I dont have any software/cd for the windows OS, and was wondering.............do I have to buy windows xp pro? Since I am wanting to wipe out my pc, cant I buy a cheaper version, like xp home???

Please help! :)
(also, I bought xtra memory, but dont know if its safe to take out the one existing card that was in their to put in a new one?) when I wipe out system, will it wipe out my memory to free it up?? (I literally am running on less than 300mb memory out of 3 or 4 gb.

I wouldn't reconmend XP of any kind on a 266, go with 2000 or 98. It will run much better. It is not a memory problem that stops you from running it faster, it is the fact that too many processes are running and taxing the processor too much

I hate to be a party pooper, but I really think you should learn the difference between RAM (memory) and your Hard Disk Drive (which you are calling memory, but isn't) before you undertake any OS related activities. Of course I could be wrong and you may have 3 or 4 GigaBytes of RAM on a 266 Megahertz Pentium, but it's more likely that I am next in line to win the Powerball drawing...

Oh, come on Sweda - just about everyone makes this mistake. I've gotten so I just cut them some slack.

Oh, come on Sweda - just about everyone makes this mistake. I've gotten so I just cut them some slack.

Go ahead and keep cutting...I'm just thinking that she should not be undertaking the wipe of a hard drive and the installation of a complicated, bloated and fickle operating system if she isn't familiar enough with the architecture of her machine to differentiate between a mass storage device and memory.

I think she's asking for trouble. We see this kind of thing all the time--some one tries to "fix" something at home, and then they bring it in to us after they have totally screwed it up. I hope she knows how to save any non-standard device drivers before she wipes that "memory"...If she's got a Dell or an HP, for example, it could take some (serious) time to find the right drivers on line. If she has, say, a Packard Bell, she could be just out of luck.

It's not that we don't make a lot of money off of people like that, but I do get to the point where I want to bang my head against the wall sometimes.

Now, I'm not one of the snobs who thinks you need to know your computer inside and out. I don't care if she doesn't know what the AX register is, but knowing where software is going when you install it (hard drive, not memory) is pretty fundamental.

Excuse me, but, we are here to HELP people, regardless of their level of expertise.

MANY people refer to hard drive space as "memory", so, it's a fairly common occurance.

I have written lengthy detailed explanations on how to accomplish a given task just to be on the safe side. If you're not into that, then don't try and help.

I recall the days when I knew ZIP about computers. Apparently, you don't.

um... okay

um... okay

I bought an old pc (pent 266, running windows xp pro). There is no memory barely left, I bought more, didnt help. So, I want to just wipe out my entire system and start fresh. I dont have any software/cd for the windows OS, and was wondering.............do I have to buy windows xp pro? Since I am wanting to wipe out my pc, cant I buy a cheaper version, like xp home???

Please help! :)
(also, I bought xtra memory, but dont know if its safe to take out the one existing card that was in their to put in a new one?) when I wipe out system, will it wipe out my memory to free it up?? (I literally am running on less than 300mb memory out of 3 or 4 gb.

I'll see if I can help a bit. I would also go with 2000 or 98, both run better than XP anything IMHO. If you go with 98SE, then you'll have to reformat. What is there will tell you that it doesn't want to "upgrade". Come to think of it, both will give you that error. How big is the harddrive? How much ram do you have? I read the post but it wasn't totally clear.

Let us know and we'll help you to work it out.

Nathan

Helping people and educating them are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes, it is helpful to teach someone the popularly accepted nomenclature, even when thier terminology is technically correct. Then they don't end up walking out of a computer store with a DIMM thinking it will increase mass storage space.

--T

I agree, but, educating can be done in a pleasant manner.

Somehow, I don't think the OP will be back here again to be educated OR helped now.

So, not all people are computer savvy. I don't consider that to be a capital crime. Some of my clients don't know RAM from SPAM, nor do they want to, but, that's what they count on me for, to do the things that I know how to do that they don't.

All I'm saying is that it could have been handled better with a few clarifying questions.

Excuse me, but, we are here to HELP people, regardless of their level of expertise.

Excuse me, but, I thought this was a forum for vintage computer collectors to compare notes, exchange technical tidbits and otherwise support the vintage computing community.

That said:

First, what part of a pentium ANYTHING do you consider vintage? I didn't miss the fact that this was put in off-topic, but the *#$%@^# address is vintage-computers.com!

Second, if you own a car, and you don't know the difference between the gas and the oil, you shouldn't consider yourself qualified to overhaul the engine. That's an analogy, for those who may not understand the context :rolleyes: ...

Third, it is NOT too much to ask a person to have a fundamental knowlege of computers before seeking assistance. I'm not expecting that everyone is an expert, but "PCs for Dummies" was published for a reason.

Forth, since the question was asked, I started learning computer operation and programming skills (Applesoft BASIC on a IIe) about 23 years ago, when I was 11. So, the answer is no--I don't remember much about computers from any time before I was 11. Actually, that was third grade, the same year I learned cursive penmanship--both are more trouble than they are worth...

Fifth, Don't try to make me out like some kind of jerk because I expect people to take a little time to learn what I've had to learn if they want to do what I do. As professionals, many of us have invested a lot of time in learning the skills necessary to do what she wants done. If she is unfamiliar with amazon.com, she should go to her local bookstore, find a beginner's reference and learn the terminology of the technology--then ask questions, I'll be happy to help.

And last, I would not have joined this community if I did not feel I would have something to contribute. I am neither selfish nor greedy with my knowledge and experience, and willingly share what I know. However, it IS a waste of time to explain concepts and principles on this forum that are widely available in mass produced publications. We gather here because the knowledge we share is specialized, and in short supply. For people who are truly interested in the unique information available here, this community is a gold mine--but (I believe) people who want support for late-model wintel machines should look to other resources.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back