• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ROM programmers

prw411

Hello,

Just curious as to what sort of ROM programmers are most recommended. I ask because there is a place nearby that has a lot of old (maybe some new ones?) in stock. Examples are some Intel universal programmers, IO Data, and some names I haven't heard or can't remember hearing before. :)

I once bought an IO Data programmer before. The surplus employee said it was marked down to $25 just because it was old, & is still functional. Bought it & a cable, plugged it in, only to get a screen saying "Insert Memory Card".

The one I was looking at had several 'adapters', some reference manuals etc. I was given a price of about $900- probably that's a little steep, eh? Mind you this company mostly deals in test equipment so they might not have a good way to put a more accurate value to the equipment. I was fortunate enough though to grab a couple of HP-85 at $30 a piece. A fair price I think! :D

A question to ask oneself - do I need to transfer ROM contents to/from a PC?
In my opinion, even 1KB of data is too much to enter into a hex keypad.

Hello,

Just curious as to what sort of ROM programmers are most recommended. I ask because there is a place nearby that has a lot of old (maybe some new ones?) in stock. Examples are some Intel universal programmers, IO Data, and some names I haven't heard or can't remember hearing before. :)

Data I/O is not bad - gotta watch out, though. They are REALLY stingy on software, and some required, for example, a $2000 startup, plus $1500/yr for maintenance!!! SOme of the older gear is OK - I have a Data-I/O 280.

Logical devices is a really good, long-established brand.
Find any of those, lemme know. I'd want one, or two, and if ya keep one, I have the CD with various DOS/Win software(s) for them.

BK makes some nice ones - the new(ish) 844A is really sweet - tests SRAM and DRAM, even!

Tony

Crap, maybe I should have looked at more than just the thumbnails on Google Images!:p

I confess, I don't remember the model number on mine! I was a month or two ago since I last saw it. Kinda ironic I even desoldered a ROM from one of my Atari carts just to test it out!

http://www.mervis.com/sub/equipment_detail.asp?PRD_ID=1384 <<<That's what I had. & from what I've seen from all the sales I've seen of the same unit, missing memory cards seems to be common!:p

Heh - HTTP 500.100 errors on the webpage...

So - can't see it.
Well, if you see a logical devices unit, lemm eknow the model, and I'll tell you if the software is on my CD. Data I/O gives out the software for the REALLY old stuff, like my 280.

Tony

I know what I would look for in a ROM programmer. There are two things I have found very valuable:

1. 2708 compatibility. These EPROMs are common in vintage equipment but are a beast to program. They require special voltages and if not sequenced right, POOF! No more EPROM. Hope that wasn't your only copy. 1702 compatibility would be nice as well. 74S188 and or 6309 compatibility would be a big plus as well.

2. Connection to a PC for transferring data. Optional but still highly valued.

Best Regards and good luck!

Andrew Lynch

THAT, my friend, will be a VERY old burner, and will probably be limited to older chips, so you might need 2: 1 for the oldies, and one for the later chips. My Data I/O 280 is at LEAST like 12-15yo, and it goes only back to 2716's!!

Goes up to 27C512's. Has RS232. Can dupe straight on the control panel, or utilize DOS software. It was a good deal, for $6 plus like $15 shipping!!!

The upgrade to get the last firmware is like $75 I think - I'll probably do it, as I really like this thing. For advanced stuff, I have access to one at the office, a Logical Devices unit (Can't remember model).

Tony

I'll take a look for Logical devices the next time I'm there (in two weeks maybe). If I see one I'll let you know. Perhaps it won't be so costly either given the age of some of the equipment and also in some cases they'll even ask me to make an offer as they usually spend more time on dealing with test equipment as this is the more profitable part of their business.

If you want, we can make arrangements so I can be available when you go, and I can PM you my cell number, so we can do a lookup on the spot. I have software for some Data I/O's also, and a couple others.

Tony

Back