• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

06/10/85 BIOS for 5170

modem7

10k Member
Does anyone have an IBM 5170 (AT) with the 06/10/85 BIOS ?
I'm after a file copy of that BIOS.

How do you get the date? One way:
Run DEBUG then enter "D FFFF:5 L8" as follows.

Code:
C:\>DEBUG
-D FFFF:5 L8
FFFF:0000                 30 38 2F-32 37 2F 30 34                 08/27/04
-Q
C:\>

I have a newer AT that came with the extended Model M, so it probably has that BIOS in it. I need to set it up though - right now it's not on a bench and not near power. If the BIOS version is correct I'll send you a dump.

Thanks Mike but don't go out of your way because according to 'Upgrading & Repairing PCs', the enhanced keyboard wasn't supported until the 11/15/85 BIOS.

Well then, I'll have to dig out one of the other ATs. :)

how exactly do you dump the BIOS without an EPROM programmer? Is it possible to get an exact dump just by accessing memory locations? I'd like to dump my Model 25's BIOS, but my EPROM programmer smelt like smoke this morning..

There are lots of ways to dump ROMs in software. If the computer can read them to execute code, then your software can read them too. And it's safer to do it via software as there is no physical (mis)handling of the chip.

My particular program is 'pcjrcart', available here: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_downloads.html . It's not PCjr specific - it will work on your latest and greatest P4 too.

Since Modem7 is a more experienced person, I'll send him ROM dumps without the 128 byte header that my tool puts on. Without the header and some meta data, it's easy to forget what the contents of the file are.

thanks for the utility suggestion..

i want to modify my BIOS on my Model 25 to completely shut off the onboard video card, to free the IRQ (i need it for my VGA card to work correctly), and try and implement 2.88MB floppy support... with the original BIOS, i'll have something to work with now... (all on an empty EPROM of course, all two of them)

thanks for the utility suggestion..

i want to modify my BIOS on my Model 25 to completely shut off the onboard video card, to free the IRQ (i need it for my VGA card to work correctly), and try and implement 2.88MB floppy support... with the original BIOS, i'll have something to work with now... (all on an empty EPROM of course, all two of them)
When you put an add-in video adapter on the Model 25 it does disable all of the planar video circuit. Which IRQ does your VGA adapter use? 2.88Mb floppy support is beyond what the FDC in the Model 25 is able to do - You can write all of the BIOS routines you want, but if the hardware support is not there you are tilting at the wind.

When you put an add-in video adapter on the Model 25 it does disable all of the planar video circuit...

You can test that planar video is turned off (unique to the 8086 version of Model 25 and Model 30) by using DEBUG:

DEBUG
>i65
9A
>Q

If you get the same response (or if not, tell me what the reply was other than "9A"). If you have a different harddrive controller than from the planar it can give a slightly different number.

Last edited:
When you put an add-in video adapter on the Model 25 it does disable all of the planar video circuit. Which IRQ does your VGA adapter use? 2.88Mb floppy support is beyond what the FDC in the Model 25 is able to do - You can write all of the BIOS routines you want, but if the hardware support is not there you are tilting at the wind.
I was previously told the limitation was the BIOS, I wasn't aware the controller didn't support it either.

I can tell the video is still active, because the on-board does have an output (80x25 text mode blinking text cursor at top right of screen), while the VGA card is still running..

btw, debug output was 9A..

i have the on-board HD controller.. only expansion cards are VGA, and SoundBlaster, that's it.. (the soundblaster is a plain old SB 2.0)

EDIT: Made a mistake on my post.. It's not an IRQ conflict, as the card doesn't need an IRQ.. It's the IO address that's conflicting.. And I don't know what the VGA card is using yet.. Haven't run a diagnostic card yet.. this is the VGA card: http://www.thegreenhouse.us/th99/v/M-O/50042.php

Last edited:
Time to start a new thread - these posts are off topic for a thread related to AT BIOS dates.

Modem7 ..

For once I am happy to return a favor to you. How would you like your BIOS dumped and sent? I can use my program, or you can suggest an alternative.

Mike

Edit: Check your private messages for instructions on how to get the ROM. I dumped it using straight debug.

Back