• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 RLX HD - Worth keeping?

UnixUser543

tandy1wg4.png

I think this system was unreleased, All the information I've located is about a much larger system.. Several times larger actually.

Is it some sort of rare prototype? :-?

It has a (Intel? - Unknown) 80286 CPU, DOS 3.30 on ROM and originally had Tandy Deskmate as well. (It has 1MiB RAM IIRC - The max for this processor - In real mode anyway..)

What I personally find interesting is that it uses a small DOS application to change BIOS information.. neat eh? :)

On the back of the unit there is the following:
* Uses the standard power cable found on most systems..
* A Serial port with (SERIAL) printed above.
* Joystick ports with (JOYSTICK) printed above.
* Sound ports with (EAR/MIC) printed above.
* Turnable volume control switch with (VOL) printed above.
* VGA port with (VIDEO) printed above.
* Printer port with (PRINTER) printed above.
* And 2 PS/2 ports for a Mouse/Keyboard

(There is also something quite interesting with the PS/2 ports, It doesn't work at all with newer keyboards - only an older IBM keyboard seems to work on it.. I've had to use the SERIAL port for mice as well..)

In my personal opinion it may be some unreleased office model, It certainly reminds me of modern Mini-ITX systems though. (The back label does say it was custom manufactured..)

Here is what the back sticker states:
* Tandy 1000 RLX Hard Drive
* Serial No. 039545
* Model No. 25-1453
* FCC ID: G7W515

(Limited 17F4 Computer) was printed in tiny writing along with other symbols.

CUSTOM MANUFACTURED IN THE USA BY TANDY CORPORATION, FT. WORTH, TX, 76102

The system still works perfectly IMHO, DOS 3.30 is on-board in ROM, I still have a copy of it's ancient DOS BIOS configuration utility also, In the BIOS there is options to boot from ROM or DISK. (It only boots DOS sadly.. It won't boot other 16bit operating systems - Like Minix or Xeinix)

Has a few dents on the case, Otherwise it's fine, Its 40mb hard-drive works fine, 1.44mb density floppy drive may be defective, It has a built in Sound Card that I only managed to use in Deskmate (Which may be deleted sadly..)

So as I conclude this "hackish" post, I'm wondering if it's worth keeping? or is anyone willing to purchase this unit from me? I'd really like some money to buy an external hard drive ;)

Oh - I have an old Atari 1040ST as well if anyone wants it.. :)

Last edited:
Is it some sort of rare prototype? :-?

No.
What I personally find interesting is that it uses a small DOS application to change BIOS information.. neat eh? :)

The setup information is stored on an EEPROM.
So as I conclude this "hackish" post, I'm wondering if it's worth keeping?
Yes. Mostly because it's the last of it's kind. Tandy retired the 1000-series after that model.
or is anyone willing to purchase this unit from me?
Maybe, but not me.

http://support.radioshack.com/produ...sp?sku_id=25-1453&Name=Tandy Desktops&Reuse=N

--T

Back