• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

when i was a kid

Helix512

When i was a kid my parrents bout me this game unit. Been trying to find it since for ever. i dont rember the name but it was 2 ton brown the top was lighter and the bottom was really dark bwon almost blak. it had 3 buitl in games with out any expation for other.. the joy sticks were 2 long narrow bars with the wires the when put away were wraped about the out hang and the put the joy sticks over the wires. also you could slect the 3 games via a 3 way toggle switch and there is more but i just cante rember all of the button w that were on the box.

if any one can rember what this unit was called let me know thanks

Your description is a bit vague. I suspect you're either talking about a Pong-type system or the Fairchild Video Entertainment System (VES), later called the Fairchild Channel F (later put out by Zircon), the first programmable cartridge-based videogame system.

EDIT: I just saw that you tried to write "with no expansion for other games", so it's obviously not the Fairchild. If you're looking for a specific Pong-system, they're tough to distinguish. You can try browsing the Pong Story Website.

Yes, it's a vintage computer site. And games are not the primary purpose. But I think that Bill and Trixter (our resident game experts) do a good job of helping people without turning this into a game forum.

So he's not wasting his time, the other moderators and forum admin are ok with it, and now we've got two people meta-moderating who kind of missed the big picture.

Do you remember what yearish the console was from? A huge help might be if you can remember the names of any of the games or atleast the details of a few of the games.

The (original?) Atari 2600 was wood so it could have been an Atari knockoff, also one of the Intellivisions I have is wood with gold here and there so it could also have been a mock intellivision. (just trying to help narrow down your googling heh).

- John

Do you remember what yearish the console was from? A huge help might be if you can remember the names of any of the games or atleast the details of a few of the games.

The (original?) Atari 2600 was wood so it could have been an Atari knockoff, also one of the Intellivisions I have is wood with gold here and there so it could also have been a mock intellivision. (just trying to help narrow down your googling heh).

- John

I don't know the dude's country of origin, but if you sort through the wording, he's definitely describing a fixed game system, i.e., Pong-like. The fact that it can't accept more games and has a selection dial leads to no other conclusion. Some of the biggest Pong and Pong-clone manufacturers of the day were Atari, Coleco, APF and Magnavox. It could have been any one of them. We'd definitely need more details or he should just browse that Website that I mentioned. I'm not particularly friendly with the gentleman that runs the Pong Story Website (http://www.pong-story.com/), but that would be the place to go for him to determine to the best of his recollection what he had. If it was one of the countless clone systems by an obscure manufacturer, it might prove impossible. There were a lot of clones by fly-by-night companies.

This is a computer forum, not a game forum. AtariAge may be better suited for this question, they might know...

Yes, but we do have one of the Net's leading authorities on videogame collecting, Bill L., present.

--T

EDIT: OOPS! Sorry, Trixter...didn't mean to snub you. Make that two of the best experts.

sorry for the troble

sorry for the troble

sorry for the trouble i just seen that you guay all are in to computers only i thought that id just ask since i have been looking for this for a while. but i see that ill just look eles ware. thanks for the pong site and yet it was a pong style game .. had 2 games pong hocky and tenis agian sorry for the trouble

Back