• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Sparc Ultra 1

Well, I was thinking of using the Monitor on a PC, so, it might be worth investing in a 13w3 to see if it works. I mean, for the chance to have a 20" Trinitron based monitor on one system and the Philips 21" on another, it would be worth a look-see.

After all, I might be able to unload the Ultra 1 and the external devices on my site, but, no one in their right mind is going to pay the shipping on the damn monitor, so, if it's doable, I might as well put it to good use :)

Well, apparently, a Sun 13W3F to PC DB15M adapter can be had for as little as 13 bucks US and that's the one with the H & V sync compensation dip switch, so, I'm going to get one and see how it works.

Just in the way of an update, I set up the system today (my arms are now 2 inches longer from hoisting the monitor) just to make sure the monitor worked (so I know it's worth ordering the adapter) and, lo and behold, the system fires up perfectly.

It's running Solaris 7 (even still had the original CD in the ROM drive) and the 'test-all' command and the 'probe-scsi' command show that everything is working fine except the transceiver since I didn't have it hooked up to anything. I'll try a loop-back next time.

Now, when my good buddy in Michigan gets around to shipping me the external cables and terminator :) I'll be able to test out the peripherals as well.

You were certainly right about the monitor though. It's a 365-1335 (Sun GDM20E20) and it's absolutely beautiful.

Ultra1

Ultra1

Good platform to:

1. learn Solaris (Solaris 8 can be downloaded for free from Sun)

2. makes an ok web or NFS server

3. VERY stable platform; I've had ultra1 machines up and running for over 3 years without a reboot (as long as you have them on a UPS!!!).

4. Not a bad development platform for UNIX code - GNU likes it.

Adapters to use a PC monitor can be had on eBay for $4.

Well, if no one buys it, and I want to do any of those things, then I'm all set :)

I spent the 12 bucks to get an OEM adapter just to keep it authentic LOL.

Hopefully, when the cables and terminator arrive, the external HD and tape drive will be operational as well.

It appears from the pictures that these are all in Sun enclosures. If so, the AutoTerm feature of the Sun hardware has always worked for me. You can see that the harware says Auto Term right on it. Try it without any terminator first.

FYI, when purchased new from Sun, they did not include terminators either. Just the interconnect cables.

Yes, I did notice that, but didn't get a chance to research it as the Sparc is only one of about 30 computers I'm working on at the moment.

That IS valuable information though and, thank you.

I'm sure that the cables are on their way, right, T? LOL

Well, the monitor looks mighty fine on a PC and the adapter works like a charm.
Taking a closer look at the front of the case, it seems that this is the Creator 3D version of the Ultra 1.

Ok, at long last, the system is all up and running and test, Solaris 7 on the main unit HD, Debian Unix on the external HD and the Dat Tape drive works fine.

It does work with just the auto-term mechanism on the external enclosures.

Attachments

• PICT0063.JPG
    PICT0063.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
Back