• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC PDP-8 with 4k Core Memory

photojack

Would anyone care to guess what a DEC PDP-8 computer with 4K of core memory would be worth today? It is complete with a ASR-33 Teletype, and paper tapes. I used this in my office in 1977-1980. It had the DEC programing language Focal-8 on paper tapes, which was similar to basic at that time. I used this computer to do my department production budgets. The other departments in the plant could not figure out how I could print out a new budget so fast, every time the production lbs changed. Every one else was stuck with using hand calculators. My boss was thrilled. When the company shut the plant down in 1980, I was able to buy the computer, and I still have it. It has not been powered up in a long time, as I bought a Tandy TRS-80 in late 1980. I did continue to use the teletype as a printer for the TRS-80 for several years, until I purchased a Tandy Model III and a dot-matrix printer for it. Where would be a good place to sell the PDP-8 to bring top $$.

Thanks

Photojack

That depends on which PDP-8 model it is.

I'm not much of a DEC head so I don't know how far the line went with core memory, but if you've got a "straight 8" - i.e. a PDP-8 without a designation (PDP-8a, PDP-8e) etc. then you have a very valuable item.

The last time I checked the straight-8 PDPs were worth well over $10K and a complete one is likely worth more.

Good luck!

The asr-33, on the other hand, not a lot. Seems the teletype market has gotten overloaded on ebay. Prices have been going down fairly fast as more and more of them show up. Shipping is always the killer with that baby. I have seen a few "poor" condition ones not even get a nibble last month or so.

Wow, time to break out an optical tape reader. Bet those tapes getting on the brittle side by now.

Dec Pdp-8

Dec Pdp-8

Wow. I feel sure it is a straight PDP-8 model. I will take some photos of it tomorrow, and get additional name plate info etc. The company I was working for in 1976 had just transfered me to another plant location. Soon after I go to the new job, I was looking for some materials in an old storeroom, that was being used to store materials that had been purchased for capital projects. I found the PDP-8 and teletype units, still in their original new shipping cases. I had the computer and one teletype sent to my office. The company had purchased this equipment a few years before, but had canceled the project. So the equipment had not been used until it arrived in my office.

I just joined this forum. Can I post photos here? If so I will post one of the computer.

Thanks

Photojack

I think best is to place a link to the picture (and to place a picture on Photobucket.com or the like)

the last pdp8 I saw on ebay here (UK) went for £600 or so (please convert to local currency) I just wish that there was a glut of teletypes in this country, I'm considering posting a "willing to swap wife and children for one" message

Can I post photos here? If so I will post one of the computer.

You can attach photos to a post using the "Manage Attachments" button below the text entry area.

Ideally, though, you'll have them uploaded to an accessible area on the net so you can link to them.

Either way will work.

the last pdp8 I saw on ebay here (UK) went for £600 or so (please convert to local currency) I just wish that there was a glut of teletypes in this country, I'm considering posting a "willing to swap wife and children for one" message

Was that for a PDP-8 or a later variant (8a, 8-E or whatever?)

If that's the price for a straight-8 then the market is not what I thought it was. . .

I'd offer that+ shipping for this one! :)

Back