• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ibm p70 plasma screen and disk drive

4869 drive ... well, of course, you have to have a MCA adapter card that goes in one of the Two slots that has, (drumroll) 37 pin connector on it. And, yes, have to run the reference disk again to tell it that you have that adapter in there, after you download the "adf" file and put it on a floppy. I may not know my SuperSports but I know my P70s. (don't have any supersports).

i think i know why he "gave" it to me and i just went and check i have 13 reference disks and all the programs that are on it are golf ms works and turbo tax 97 all that works or is usefull is ms works.
ive also found it has something called smrt drive thats controlling all the drives what the heck is this?

this is gonna sound stupid could my problem be that creeping short thingy Ive read about i guess its an earlier one since it says 3 1988 on the inside it was a salesman demonstration unit it seems it can send i data but as soon as its sent back the drive is no longer detected.

"smart drive" is just a disk caching program. Extremely helpful to increase disk performance, especially with subdirs that have hundreds of entries (like \windows\system).

you lost me at "creeping short thingy" chuckle. Anyway, the hard drive works, quit complaining! Cost me over $100 to get a replacement hard drive with shipping. Replacing the floppy drive I don't think will be very expensive. Now, the problem with the plasma screen, that's a different matter.

found it
"Some older units also developed a sort of "creeping short" along the FDD cable where the FDD cable enters the "flip out" FDD bay. There was an ECA for the FDD cable from IBM for the earlier models, where FDD cables broke, shortened DC-voltages to GND or FDD signals and caused a dead systemboard. (Few only - IBM fixed it in an early stage"

I don't know the answer to that one. I would guess yes, but that is a guess. I haven't looked at the cable going to the floppy drives yet, might be one of those weirdo kind.

Well, you "kinda" knew that already! What improves slowly over time? Capacitors, of course. Especially if it has been turned off for a long time.

the tags on mine coldnt be read but thanks to "http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/p70.html" i found out this

"The correct FRU number for a replacement diskette drive is FRU 38F5936. However, it seems that FRU 64F0162 will also fit, and is electrically compatible. This drive is commonly used in the following machines: Model 55SX (8555), Model 60 (8560), Model 65SX (8565) and Model 80 (8580). It is also used in some Model 85 (9585), Model 90 (8590) and Model 95 (8595) systems, except of course when a 2.88MB drive is fitted! Note that the 8560, 8565 and 8580 have also used a different drive with a 40 pin card edge connector rather than the 34 pin header;"

ny one have an old display bordi can see the back of mine has two traces o he plasma scren scratched through and jumped over to other traces

also see the same practice on one of the floppys boards

"The correct FRU number for a replacement diskette drive is FRU 38F5936. However, it seems that FRU 64F0162 will also fit, and is electrically compatible. This drive is commonly used in the following machines: Model 55SX (8555), Model 60 (8560), Model 65SX (8565) and Model 80 (8580). It is also used in some Model 85 (9585), Model 90 (8590) and Model 95 (8595) systems, except of course when a 2.88MB drive is fitted! Note that the 8560, 8565 and 8580 have also used a different drive with a 40 pin card edge connector rather than the 34 pin header;"

Ok, first of all, FRU means "Field Replacement Unit" and it sounds, from the first 3 numbers, like an IBM one. I have a FRU 64F4148 out of something, but, on the back of the drive (and it could be anywhere actually) it say that it is a Sony Model MP-F40W-00.

Does your unit have a similar tag somewhere on the back or the side (I've even seen them on the flywheel)

Also, this one gets its power from the pin-cable and there is no separate 4-pin power connector. Does yours?

Let me know and we can go from there.

I have a non-functional Zenith laptop with similar push-to-pop-up drives. I won't mind canibalizing it if someone can use the parts, just need a make/model/etc to see if they're compatible. (Obviously, they're untested/as-is, but for shipping cost only). (Sorry, D, but I'll send 'em to you if ya holla at me).

--T

Back