• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cut-and-Shut Sirius (Victor) probs

nige the hippy

Veteran Member
Hello there chaps,
After a long break from the Sirius business I bought one on "Tha Bay" for a tenner, as it was a "faulty power supply/hard disk on it's way out" described one.

I'd been after one with a hard disk, I thought it would be a good idea, as my old one seemed to have problems reading the disks someone copied for me, and I wasn't sure if it was the disks or my machine... breath...and it looked like the disks, and one with a hard disk should have had all that was needed to create new system disks, a great deal of convenience, a fixable power supply, and when the time came for the Winny to die, I have a spare 10M drive in a box ready to go into it...

It arrived all packed nicely. However when I had the time to get it all on the bench & plugged it all in, strangely it powered up and then 20 seconds later the PSU dramatically let the smoke out (same filter cap as last time), Replaced the cap, power supply works fine... so the PSU must have been working ok last time it was switched on...

Next, tried to start up a stripped-down machine, still dead, motherboard up the creek... thinks.... "perhaps this was the fault all along, and the power supply was just a fluke"

Run up the winchester, sounds fine, add oil, sounds even better!

Get my old machine out of the garage... do a big parts swap, the composite machine boots from floppy, I get as far as entering the new date, and... no response, the keyboard is completely dead too (Theres another one on ebay at the mo...)

also finally take a good look at the monitor, and the anti glare is ripped out. sigh!

So.... questions....

Does anyone know if you need to change the boot ROM(s) on the machine to use a hard disk?

And do I need to use HDSETUP (as in the manual) or can I just use "FORMAT"? (there doesn't seem to be an FDISK)

yours exasperatedly
Nig.

Last edited:
sent a PM,

And just got a huge pile of sirius spare boards dead cheap.

a couple of motherboards,
a couple of disk boards
a memory expansion,
a pair of hard disk expansions
and an "SSIO" "Plus 5" whatever that is???

now for some isopropanol!

Back