• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

TRS-80 Items

cassiopia419

I'm currently going through my late father's computer collection and have a TON of TRS-80 items, including hardware, software, manuals, and books. If anyone is interested, please send me an email at cassiopia419 at yahoo dot com and I'll be happy to send you the excel file I have of all the items. We're looking to sell many of the items at low prices to make a bit of money for my mom, but also may have items that we would be happy to find a free home for with a collector who will enjoy them (and not just sell them off on ebay). Thanks!

Katie

Your TRS 80 stuff

Your TRS 80 stuff

I'd be interested in the list, particularly in the hardware items.

Thank you!

Cassiopia is currently away helping her mother settle her grandmother's estate.

She was going to inform everyone when she returned that she has got so much response from the various places she posted to, that the only fair and logical thing to do is to handle it through select, (not lot), auctions on e-bay.

I am helping her with the logistics and I'm sure she will let everyone know of the auctions.

There are also a considerable number of other, non-Tandy, Vintage items.

Sounds like the right approach. I would only argue with the term "fair". Deepest pockets does not equal fair. I know, Mr. Nit over here.

No, I agree, even though it was my suggestion to go that route, but, I also think it would be unfair to give one forum (I'm assuming the other places she posted it was also forums, I'll have to ask) preferential treatment over another.

It would be unethical of me to suggest posting the list here and selling whatever is left over on e-bay.

Also, I am only acting in the capacity of advisor and technical resource.

If I can offer a small opinion on the matter (too late, here I go! :) )

First, I have no problem with sellers using Ebay to maximize returns. However, if you are disposing of vintage computer items which are of a sentimental value to either you or a loved one, friend, or someone you respect, I think if you are somewhat obligated to honor their memory to at least get the items into a good "home" where they will be likewise appreciated. Otherwise, the items may be trashed or scrapped for gold or further speculated on Ebay and that is just sad to treat someone's memory like so much junk.

Lets face it, many of us collect and fix vintage computers because we *like* it and have sentimental attachments to items we have searched for long and hard or spent hours soldering on and debugging with primative tools. These computers represent a portion of who we are as a person and to just toss them aside in a crass fashion I think is a form of disrespect for the person who *did* find the equipment important.

I hope this rant makes any sense at all but that is how I feel about it.

Thanks for reading.

Andrew Lynch

PS, congratulations to Katie for doing the right thing and kudos to Richard for helping. Again.

PPS. Richard, you are ruining your reputation. Again.

:)

Up yer nose, Andrew LMAO

I feel the same way, Andrew, and I have to balance my advice between finding a GOOD home for them and getting as much money for Katie's Mom as possible, both, I am sure, would have pleased her late father.

If my guidance is going to err, though, it's going to err on the side of the living.

FWIW, my advice is going to lead to auctions that are machine with original software that came with it and individual software packages for specific machines as separate auctions so that you don't have to buy a lot of stuff you don't want just to get what you do want.

I hate having to buy, at a higher price, stuff that I'm just going to store to get the thing I'm going to use.

Just to back up (the bay that shall remain nameless) route, some people sell it there because they don't know what it's worth opposed to guessing and asking for $20 at a forum, they may find people really DO want that altair and bid accordingly. Given, it does occasionally add up to a higher price tag than it's worth and you don't know the condition it's going into but sometimes it's easier and safer for the seller.

- John

First, no heavy iron stuff, no Apple Is, no Lisas, etc. just some interesting stuff and a large number of original software packages.

I have a CD on the way with pictures of everything, so, I'll be able to advise her on what goes with what. I will also be helping to diagnose and repair anything that isn't in working order (the problems sound minor).

Second, and most important, the auctions (for the hardware) will be run the way I used to do it with a primary picture of the system showing it set up and working.

I guess we'll see how things go as they go along and each group of auctions will, of course, be listed on THE best Vintage Computer Forum in existence. This one.

I mean, I really can't be held responsible for dissemination of information if I don't know what other sites she may have posted the notice on :)

Good luck with the sales/auctions.

I get a lot of email about systems people want to sell, requests for assistance and, mostly, requests for appraisals.

I always provide fair and accurate appraisals for items and generally try to differentiate between collector money and eBay money. . .

I usually direct them to a combination of places to sell depending on their goals and the value of the systems.

For more common stuff I usually suggest posting here (or offer to post for them) at a fixed price.

For less common or more valuable stuff I usually recommend either eBay or the Vintage Computer Marketplace (marketplace.vintage.org)

The latter is a good venue for collectors that gets far less traffic then it deserves so I do what I can to encourage people to use it.

BTW, the recent "Top 10 Collectable PCs" article on PC World got picked up by MSN for another spike in traffic and incoming email. Lots of stuff has come out of the woodwork including what sounds like a nice IMSAI setup (www.vintage-computer.com/imsai8080.shtml - look at the book entries on the bottom) amongst a variety of other systems (TI, Timex/Sinclair, TRS-80, etc.) and even an Apple I someone is helping their dad sell (no more details than that at the moment!) :confused7:

Never a dull moment!

Back