• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help finding C64 switchbox

That's a BIG 10-4 on that ebay seller. Good stuff. Got one sitting 4 feet from me.

I just discovered that the eBay seller I mentioned earlier has a website at http://www.vintagecomputercables.com ... If he doesn't have a cable that you're looking for currently up for auction on eBay, then just click on the "Contact Us" link on that website to send him an e-mail, and he'll most likely be able to make whatever cable you need for you.

-Andrew

No way (within 4 feet). I have stuff sitting everywhere so some are, oh, 42 feet away.

Last edited:
If you power up the floppy drive without turning on the computer, does one light go dark after a second? It could very well be something faulty with your C64, i.e. a broken 6526 CIA. Nevertheless, you should be able to get a video signal if the rest of the computer works as it should. If both the drive lights stay on independent of whether the computer is powered on or not, something is fishy with the drive and/or its power supply.

If I power the floppy alone the red light DOES, in fact, go dark after a second, so the floppy is operating as normal. When I power the CPU on both lights stay lit. Now what?

It would be useful to know exactly what you did.
For example, did you tune your TV to channel 3?

I have tried all the combinations of the back 3/4 channel switch and having the TV on channel 3 or 4. By the way, I assume the black switch to the left is Ch 3 and to the right for 4? (I tried it all ways to be sure). There is a change in the signal but we're talking going from snow to black screen with less snow and white angle lines across it when the CPU is powered up, so the signal is getting through but something is falling short...

ah, if your TV is fairly modern, it has AFT or automatic fine tuning. If the RF modulator has drifted a lot, the AFT is not going to be able to find it.

I have a modern 28" Sony TV and I have that problem with all my RF video computers. Unlike you, I do get a somewhat readable picture but it is not the best, usually lots of snow and other interference.

You probably don't have a TV old enough, but if you had one with manual fine tuning, it would work much better.

The other trick would be using an old VCR with built in fine tuning. I used to use that trick before I tossed my 1980 $1000 (floor demo) VCR.

If I power the floppy alone the red light DOES, in fact, go dark after a second, so the floppy is operating as normal. When I power the CPU on both lights stay lit. Now what?
It sounds like you got some fault in your Commodore 64. My first bet would be a blown 6526 CIA, but I'm not technically skilled. There was someone else on this forum who claimed to have vast experience in trouble shooting and repairing Commodore computers. Hopefully they will speak up.

If you're lucky, the 6526:s (or 8520 in newer models?) are socketed, so if you had a spare one you could replace it and see if the computer works OK. Another option would be to find another loose C64. Most of the time, shipping is more expensive than the computer should be.

I have tried all the combinations of the back 3/4 channel switch and having the TV on channel 3 or 4.

But you still haven't given us any detail about what you have and how you have it hooked together.
It may be obvious to you because you have it all right there. But we can't see it, so you need to give us specifics.

I understand you have a C64 that you want to hook up to a TV.
What kind of TV is it (make and model)?
What type of cable are you using?
Into which jack?
On which device?

Once we have that info, we can start to give you a specific answer.
Otherwise, it's all guesswork.

Hrm...

Hrm...

Since the commodore has Y/C output through the DIN plug...

You may be able to build an S-Video output cable...

C-64 Monitor Cable

In place of a black and yellow cable, you can just wire the Y/C to an S-Video cable with no hassle, Ive seen one built that way, but never had the chance to do it myself.

I believe the thing you are asking about is this ...
y1pQeYeYhdj8xRCF8mi2pJd14-lkcyyWXvDmeAmrdIm2Xz6x3ZmQKHq2Dq5gZDybPB_YobYteezxGq5w0nArdyJqLKAFN7LzkZ5

That is an old one, I have a couple more around somewhere...I think

Last edited:
Back