• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

Just a little thing I thought of. You can click "Thread Tools" at the top and "Show Printable Version" if you wanted to print pages of this thread for archive uses or reference. Way to go on the 100th post guys!

Last edited:
Color Me Enable OA - Now we can Call It Enable 101

Color Me Enable OA - Now we can Call It Enable 101

Thanks Vlad. Just checked it out and will use it in due course. Also the Email option: will use that today for a certain oldtimer I'm trying to interest in coming on board here. /OAfurf

P.S. Just Sent the thread email. Thanks much Vlad.

Last edited:
HTML amatuer

HTML amatuer

I haven't followed this enough to answer a simple question. Can OA create an HTML file that would look nice as an invoice or purchase order by outputing to a text file (ASCII) in a fairly simple manner for my uneducated HTML mind??

I've found the use of club commands for printing and marking page start/page end markings so certain areas of reports aren't broke at the bottom of a page and finished at the top of the next. Is it as simple as using some character codes that would produce a "invoice form" and then have the numbers put in the areas of the invoice by reference to column and row numbers??

I'll use VLad's comments about printing (thanks for the tip VLad) the prior posts and that may answer these questions.

Can OA create an HTML file that would look nice as an invoice or purchase order by outputing to a text file (ASCII) in a fairly simple manner for my uneducated HTML mind??

ANSWER: YES... and you'll be printing hard copy from the HTML editor because you can preview it in the print module before actually printing it. If the page doesn't break the way you want it, you can quickly correct it. And of course if you want color, html is the way to go.

First design your invoice or P.O. manually in an html wysiwyg [pron: wissywig] editor. The freebies out there that I use are the Mozilla suite and Nvu. Nvu is a freestanding version of the Mozilla suite's Composer module. I couldn't exist without these two nifty freebies. Nvu, unlike Mozilla, has a site manager if you want to run a website. Another Mozilla freebie, Firefox, now has the FireFTP add_on which is the greatest I've seen for maintaining a website. You keep a copy of your website on your hard drive matching that on the remote server. FireFTP will connect both so you can update your local copy and tell FireFTP [which neatly opens as just another FireFox tab] to make your server version match your local, and vice-versa.

Make your html invoice look as jazzy or handsome as you want. Place your company name etc. where you want it. Use tables and cells to section it the way you want it, e.g. you have a horizontal cell across the top for your company name heading, maybe even divide that cell to give a logo its own box. Maybe a lefthand margin vertical box for whatever... With a wissywig you can drag the divider lines to where you want them. And so on. You'll want the largest cell to be where all sale items fall with their pricing etc. Since you already print an invoice from EnableOA, you could model the html sectioning on that if you like.

Then you are going to copy the appropriate html ASCII coding into your EnableOA output form that generates the invoice/P.O. and insert the OA fields in the proper place and experiment with .exec_dos until you get it just right. However when you get to that point, email or post the ASCII code where I can see it. WYSIWIGs typically put in too much html markup. E.G. if you enlarge or shrink the font size, you'll get a series of <big><big> or <small><small> tags and so on. These can be taken out and replaced with with a single CSS styling statement.

And of course you can make a whole bunch of different html forms for different purposes and have the OA code call the one you want.

MidMich: your best days are yet ahead. I'll be out of reach for the next two weeks but will be looking in here after that to see how you're doing. /OAfurf

Mozilla here I come!!

Mozilla here I come!!

Guess I should dive into this Mozilla thing. You're probably thinking he's finally getting it (IE served me fine so far).:rolleyes:

Well you can still use IE, but lo! now Firefox has the IE engine built in as an option. Click at the bottom to toggle any webpage between FireFox and IE and still remain in the same FireFox tab. As you know I sometimes refer to Windows and IE as the :whaasup:hell of :cool: Gates -- and Windows would never have updated IE to tab browsing if not for the 20 million FireFox downloads in one month. Having sat on IE6 forever because the HofG controlled more than 80% of the browser market a few years ago, they never brought it up to W3C compliance until forced to do so by FireFox's success.

But IE is only a browser. The Moz suite is a browser {Navigator}, a mail&newsgroup client {MozillaMail}, an address book, an html editor {Composer} all rolled into one.

BTW, the Mozilla standalone email client is Thunderbird. All the Mozilla apps when installed will optionally import all your settings, emails, etc. from IE, OutlookEXpess, etc. /OAfurf

P.S. This Vintage is such a neat board. I chose Quick Reply only to regret it because I wanted the smilies all of a sudden. Thought I was going to have to go without until.... until.... I scrolled down to Post the Reply and there was a GO ADVANCED option that when pressed............

brought up the smilies.:p ;) :D

Enable OA v4.0 & v4.5

Enable OA v4.0 & v4.5

I used to be a user of Enable v4.0 & v4.5 and still have the disks and manuals.

Haven't used Enable for many years now; but it appears that it is still in use out there; all this vintage software is beginning to take up valuable space on my shelves... (I think that v4.5 cost me about $500 ...).

I have the following:
Enable OA v4.0 manuals (there's lots of them!) and 9x 3.5" disks (v19.0)
Enable OA v4.5 manuals (3 large binders) and 3 sets of disks:
7x 3.5" disks v42.3
7x 3.5" disks v48.5
7x 3.5" disks v59.9 (the last version?)

Also a set of 26x 5.25" floppies; can't tell the version number, might be v4.0; disks #'s begin with "859".

If any one is interested, please e-mail me at peter@pcelias.com

looking for Enable OA software

looking for Enable OA software

I was in the Marine Corps for 23 years and was using OA for all of our sustems. I made myself copies for my house use and to also do work at home and take it in to work. I simply love it, I have not found any other software program that can match what Enable OA could and can do. I have a small business now and was using it for mu customer listings and whatever else I needed. I had a computer crash and reloaded OA but something in it is currupt or bad. So I am looking for anyone that has a good copy of it that they are willing to part with of make me a copy. A couple of years age I tried to contact the manifactor and was told that they do not have any copies of Enable OA available. If anyone can help me please E-mail me and I will get back with you promptly.

Thanks
JJ Schooley

Yes, there's still lots of useful and interesting things being accomplished
with OA, I've sent you a private message directing you to the Thogscave Enable OA webpage. If you need further assistance let us know.

suthnsun

I see suthsun has oriented you to where you can download an installable free copy of the eternal EnableOA. Nice to see a reply from the military: EnableOA was used to track the ordnance in the first Gulf War.

Explain a bit more what you mean by
reloaded OA.
Does that mean you reinstalled or just copied some sort of backup? You probably need to reinstall in order for Enable to find everything. If you had a disk image you might be able to get by with restoring the EN450 subdirectory.

Does Schooley Mountain :D over by Hackettstown NJ belong to you? /OAfurf

P.S. The Vintage Computer Forum proves its value once again.... connecting you with us. Bravo :cool: Vintage!!

Last edited:
Haven't received link yet

Haven't received link yet

Was glad to see the resp[once to my delema, but as of yet I haven't received the link to the site you mentioned. You may want to post it here on the board. As I am sure there are others that may or might run into the same problem that I am having.:confused:

Thanks
JJ Schooley:lol:

JJ, go to Message #38 in this chain and click the link that MidMich has put there for such as ye. When you get to the EnableOA WILL NEVER DIE page, click on Mailing List and subscribe to the list. You'll get an email acknowledgement from Peter Wargo who designed this Eternal EnableOA site. Ask him to direct you to the installation iso file.

While you're navigating to #38, you might want to read through the various messages in this chain as there is some great stuff in there. And keep your Enable data files that right now you can't access. After you install from the iso [do you have a burner to burn a CD from it?], you'll be able to access all your data. /OAfurf

thanks

thanks

thanks for the reply. I went to the site and joined. Will let you know how things work out.

JJ Schooley:D

.iso ????????????

.iso ????????????

OK I downloaded the file that you all told me to but now what am i susposed to do with it?? It is now an executable file and I am now sure what iso is. So as you can see I need the groups help again. I am real good at following instructions. HE HE :D

Thanks

John Schooley

PS: The Schooley mountain is a family thing, but we haven't meat that side of the family yet. I live in Yuma, AZ and am looking forward to moving to Kila, MT in a couple of years (have 50 ackers there). :)

Yes I do have a CDRW and a DVD burner.
Below is my system, this is the main computer that I use. I have about 7 other computers that I use from time to time. I build them from spare parts that people give me.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PERSONAL-47041E
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model D845GBV_
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0017.P09.0209092000, 9/9/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name PERSONAL-47041E\JJ
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB:p
Available Physical Memory 1.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hard Drives 3 Total GB 700:p
2 DVDRW
1 CDRW
hope that this will help

Thanks
JJ Schooley

Last edited:
Good! Check the CD-burning software that came with your CDRW. The iso file you downloaded from thogs is your source file and a blank CD in your CDRW drive is your target; your software will burn a CD from the iso file. A 14 digit code is needed when you go to install EnableOA from the CD. That code might be on the CD [we need to check with Carl Underwood at thogs who created the iso from his EnableOA floppy disks] or if not, I can email you one. /OAfurf

Still need some help/further instructions

Still need some help/further instructions

Ok call me a DS. I burnt the CD as you said and I have the same thing that I saved to my hard drive. I used Nero 6 to burn it to the CD, clicked on burn data and picked the file and then burnt it. It is the same ISO extent ion file and when I try to use that file I get:

Windows cannot open this file
[] use web blaw blaw
[] select the program from a list

I looked at the manual, which leaves much to be desired) and there is nothing about ISO. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I also have another CD recording program B's recorder if I need to use that one instead of Nero.

Anxiously waiting to use my Enable again and have peace of mind in what and how things come out.

JJ Schooley

Okay, we all make these kind of mistakes the first time around. Sounds like you simply burned the iso file onto the CD as if it were a data file. Go back to your software [either Nero or B's] and look for an option for making a disk image. When you're hunting for the source file, the Windows file type at the bottom should show .iso [and perhaps one or two other possible file types].

When the CD is burned correctly, clicking on the INSTALL.EXE file on the CD should pop open a DOS window. Don't give up; perservere. Get back to us if you run into any road blocks. /OAfurf

Back