• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows Server 2008 RC0 - free download

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
and it's legit... straight from microsoft. you just have to set up an account on their technet site. here's a link to it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb687945.aspx

i installed it on a spare 1.7 ghz celeron box w/ 512 MB RAM and it runs very nicely. i haven't noticed any bugs so far, but i've only been using it for a few hours so lets see.:lol:

enjoy!

Wow, are those people still in business?

It has been my opinion for quite some time that if MicroLimp wanted to make a product that doesn't suck, they'll need to start building Vacuum Cleaners.

haha. well actually i'm kind of impressed with it. MS seems to have a good product here. it's based on vista, but they have all the crap that makes vista slow and a resource hog disabled by default. it runs smooth and seems stable so far. haven't seen a bug yet either.

it's been running pretty quickly, which is pretty impressive considering the box i'm running it on.

still though, if you want an awesome server you can just install a good linux distro instead of shelling out thousands for server 2k8. (or however much they are going to want for it)

You're probably right about the "thousands of dollars", when 2K came out, we were still willing to work with MS products, and bought a couple of copies at that time. Thousands of dollars pretty much sums it up.

I agree that they keep getting better, but I would feel much more comfortable if they hadn't used the unsuspecting public as guinea pigs for the last 15 years or so. We keep two XP boxes; the first because I couldn't pry my partner's laptop out of his cold dead hands and the second because we opted to use a commercially available microprocessor simulator designed for Windoze instead of taking the time to re-invent the wheel. If we get some free time, I'm going to write the simulator to run on the AS/400...then XPbox[2] can be Sh!t-canned...

That said, we have "relatively" little trouble with either of the machines, though his laptop is more stable--of course, it's core duo, with GBytes of RAM, too. Which is the other thing that just floors me--Windoze is such a resource hog. Year after year, instead of making their OS better, they make it bulkier.

So, I don't really trust Microsoft, which is sad, because one of my partner's oldest friends works for them. I can recognize that each subsequent version of the OS is more stable and reliable than the last, but I also feel they should have had Win95 at that level before they released it--which means they've had a "less than acceptable" reliability level for the last 12 years or so...Not a great way to instill confidence.

I trust Microsoft --- to continue to use the public as their debuggers!!! Did you know that Windows Server 2008 was ready for the first go-round of public debugging?

I went and got it as soon as it came out. (But I do computer repair for a living, so I have to keep current.) Not bad. I installed the stock-standard x86 version on one drive, the x64 version on another, and "Core Server" on another. (Core Server is their CLI-only implementation. No GUI at all.) I've had the x86 version running as 'primary' most of the time, but it seems pretty good.

My setup is a Pentium Extreme Edition 965 (overclocked to 4.0 GHz,) with 1 GB RAM. It previously was my Windows Home Server testbed. (Which it ran flawlessly for about a year.)

OK, wait...so you're telling me they have a CLI-only version of the new server OS?

I can not find the words to express my thoughts right now...

OK, wait...so you're telling me they have a CLI-only version of the new server OS?

I can not find the words to express my thoughts right now...

yup, it's pretty awesome. very lightweight!

it's like MS finally figured out thats one of the things that makes linux much better for a server. linux itself has no sort of GUI, it's just an add-on package. this is the first windows release i've seen that seems to employ that concept.

yup, it's pretty awesome. very lightweight!

it's like MS finally figured out thats one of the things that makes linux much better for a server. linux itself has no sort of GUI, it's just an add-on package. this is the first windows release i've seen that seems to employ that concept.

Which begs the question...

Is it still "Windows"? :p

Shouldn't it just be "Server 2008"?

Back